Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMass Vs Houston Methodist - handsome88
I want to do cardiology and I'm undecided which to rank higher. Is one clearly better than the other? I wanted to rank Methodist higher but some of you advised UMass. Would I be crazy to do that?
UMass.

I live in Houston, and Methodist is great, and you'll get cardio out of here. But why leave it to chance, it is getting more competitive, and Methodist is majority IMG but still a great program.

You are an IMG, and I'm sure a very talented one based on the interviews you are getting

To answer your question, One is viewed as much higher than the other.
@ kash_md

Thanks. I just wanted to know if I have just as good of a chance to get cards from Methodist. I know UMass might have the upper hand because it's a uni program, but I like Houson city more and also I have an interest in working with some of the cards faculty at Methodist ...but not sure if that's a good enough reason to rank it higher. Would I be risking not matching in cards if I go to Methodist or is it also virtually "guaranteed"?
listen, methodist has a great match list into cards, recent affiliation with Cornell. They are a great hospital here in the TMC. Well respected and recognized, will you probably get cards out of methodist,

but Umass has a 90% fellowship match rate, and has taken 44 students in the last 20 years into their own Cards program with almost as many going to other programs

http://www.umassmed.edu/medicine/residen...ship-data/

To people outside of Texas, methodist is a community hospital. In reality, while it may be a little smaller program, there is nothing community about the institution, it is world class, and the methodist research institute is amazing, however, the involvement of residents from what I can see is minimal at best when it comes to the research opportunities.

good luck, either way both great choices you can't go wrong.
Thanks!!

Btw UMass is also 50% IMGs.
@kash_md

what about Methodist vs Rutgers NJMS?
Both are reputable. If you have great scores come to Houston. Who wants to live in moooo jersey. Methodist has in house cardio and the texas heart institute next door. I'm sure you have amazing scores by the caliber of your interviews
Thanks.

I don't have high scores, they're average (mid 230s step 1, mid 240s step 2), but I have strong LORs and a good number of research/pubs.

I need to ask you some questions about houston and methodist in private. I really need help before the deadline in 2 days. Do you have sdn or usmle-forums account? My username is the same on both. Please message me or let me know your username.

Thanks a lot!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »