Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why termination? - shaikrahman

Please what are the most common reasons why residents get terminated from a program? It just seems unfair, after going through medical school and the Match process to just be terminated of forced to resign. I am just wondering, I am not in a similar position. Thanks for your answers
It probably has to be a bad offense, meaning something that goes against the code of conduct or is plain illegal, like showing up to work while being drunk, prescribing control medications when you should not, violating patient confidentiality, using medical records fro non work purposes, etc.

If any of these things happen, it is not unfair. It's a resident making bad decisions and facing the consequences of that.

Academic issues may not get you kicked out of residency but can delay your promotion go the next PGY unless you keep failing to meet their expectation. Probation is the most you may get (I knew a fellow on probation for 2 years for academic problems, just got extra work and hand-holding, nothing else)

Grudges with attendings and PD may get you out in malignant programs, especially if you are in a vulnerable group (IMG dependent on J visa for example).

"Grudges with attendings and PD may get you out in malignant programs" ... even then, there is a committee that makes those decisions and so you would have done something major to warrant a valid termination
You can be terminated for a number of reasons. However, it is probably very rare that you don't go through several steps before you are terminated. Failing to meet terms of probation is probably a very common reason. Also, in my state, you have to pass Step 3 before you are able to get a PGY - 3 permit. If you can't pass, you can't continue in the program, so termination is the program's only recourse.
I agree with most of what's been said here. It has to be an egregious mistake that can't be fixed and runs afoul of general medical ethics or patient privacy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »