Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal Medicine residency chances - gopalan
I am a 2003 medical graduate. I continued to do M.P.H from UCLA. RIght now, for past 1 year, I am involved in evidence-based medicine reasech in the field of myelodysplastic syndrome and secondary hyperparathyroidism. I secured 98 score in Step 1. I have 1 US LOR from my principal investigator. I have started studying for USMLE Step 2. I will applying for 2008 match.

Do you think I have a chance for IM residency.
no
To FRED,

WHY NO?. What can I do to improve my application
I think Fred is being sarcastic and mean simply because it is OBIVIOUS that you have a VERY HIGH CHANCE for IM residency. Just make sure your Step 2 is in 90s as well, ECFMG certified by September, you should be on the highway to IM residency. I hope I answered your question
I wanted to ask a question for my brother who finished MBBS last year. Is it worth doing M.P.H from universities like UCLA. Will it help in strengthening residency application
Personally, I don't think so. As long his scores are good (above 90s) and fresh graduate. I don't see why he won't be wanted by lots of programs. Most of the people who match do not have an MPH, if he needs to get something, the best would be an observership or an externship. That would lead to a US LOR from a medical doctor which carries some weight. Let me also say that most IMGs that match do not have USCE.
There are few people in this forum who post some comments or information just for misleading or distracting other users purposefully. Although there are many supportive and responsible people here who intend to help other users, but a few people try to divert or discourage other USMLE applicants by posting relevant or irrelevant subjects or false information like œwhat is my chance with mentioning some good or average to low scores, ranking my order list and mentioning a list of best programs, providing their 99/99 scores, rumors about programs and program directors, GC holders or citizenship vs visa holders, racial and ethnical arguments, some offensive comments 
Despite that it is an immature and simple way of unfair competition, but unfortunately I have to confess that it works! A nervous mind can be easily diverted to a wrong way by these falsified comments. For example many applicants with average scores may become disappointed by reading questions like: œI got 81/82 in step1/2, do I still have any chance for FP? and they become more cautious about applying for more competitive courses or hospitals (IM, Univ. hospitals etc.) So the place will be open for the guys with lower or the same scores in general!!!
I think getting into the residency in the US is a subjective issue that depends on the several factors, not only the good scores, the year of graduation, connection, etc. One of these factors is a healthy and mature personality. Those people sacrifice their moral values for misleading other applicants to put them out of the circle by these dirty tricks. Therefore I try to interpret the information here by my personal logic and observations and confirm them by other resources.
This country has a big potential, if you can get it into it, it won™t disappoint you.
May God bless all of us and good luck everybody.
For IMGS who need VISA:
To get good number of interview calls one need to have good scores. This is because some programs have a score filter (some don't), if your scores are below that set limit it would not be printed out on paper to be reviewed. Once you have good scores, USCE and experience helps.

For the interview, your personality counts the most. If they like your personality you are in!!
Are you kidding me with such a question. YOu have 98 and asking about your chances..I really wounder about you.. Maybe you need to be in different ptoffesion, bc you are stupid like a rock.........or acting dumb..............
Take care.........and please do not ask stupid questions again..If you are worried, then everyone should be worried..........
That's why I was being "mean". It's a little like .."Hey, I won the lottery do you think I have a good chance of affording this porsche?"

C'mon! As if someone can give you a % chance of getting a residency, go ask God, hes the only one who can do that!

And last thought, getting a residency position is a multi-faceted process, scores are only one part of your application. If you want some advice: Email all the programs you are interested in and ask if they are IMG friendly. Do not apply blindly and make sure you apply to 100+ programs.

Good Luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »