Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for sincere advice - achalasia_123
Hi All- I am writing to you to seek sincere advice. I am am old foreign medical graduate (US citizen) with years of clinical research experience in the biotech industry, with a well established clinical research career in the biotech/ pharma industry. However, the professional urge for a 1:1 patient care seems to not go away even at this point in life. It goes back 15 years ago when I tried applying for residency several times and was unsuccessful, therefore led to a successful career in the industry.

I am a 2003 graduate with all USMLE steps passed since 2008, scores- 82- 79- 78. The deal killer at that time was that I passed my step 1 in the 4th attempt that ruined my chance in such a competitive environment. I have 5 years of clinical experience working as an Internist ex-US. When I was applying for residency (2007-12 ), I had some observer ship experience in the US but had no externship experience at all. I did manage to get interviews (1 to 2) each year, in Psychiatry and sometimes FM, but was not able to match. The other issue too is that my application was never focussed to one specialty because due to family/ financial issues, I had to maitain my full time job in research to support my family and was never able to do a dedicated externship and to get effective LORs. So, after unsuccessful attempts in matching, I pursued my career in the pharma industry and am doing very well.

BUT, My desire for clinical practice is not going away!! I believe that I will do better in clinical which is why I am considering applying for residency. But to all those in clinical practice (during residency or after in clinical practice)- I am looking for a sincere advice.

My interest is mainly in IM but if there are other less competitive specialties I should consider, please feel free to suggest

MAIN CONCERNS- With such a busy professional life already with 9 to 5 hours, how am I going to end up doing an externship to gain hands on clinical experience and to earn LORs to supplement my ERAS application?

Is there an evening after hours externship available? For a candidate who is already running a family, this would be the biggest hurdle?

I have 10 plus years of Drug Safety and Pharmacovigilance experience in the oncology therapeutic area. Could any of this be used as expereince for ERAS? Based on my extensive research expereince, which specialities should I target? Without doing any kind of an externship, should I solicit LORs from my research colleagues? Not sure, if these will be helpful?

My poor scores and multiple attempts and years of grduation- A big concern!! I wish I could retake my USMLE exams again to improve my scores. BUT with step 3 passed, I do not think i will be allowed to

It just seems like that clinical is just not an option for me anymore.

I would appreciate your sincere feedback. For the ones who are already in clinical practice- Please feel free to share your thoughts- are you enjoying your career? In clinical practice, is it common that MDs are typically happy with their career OR do they also think about changing careers

Your sincere feedback will very much be appreciated
The atmosphere has gotten super competitive in the last few years so if anything your best bet would be an FM program. But mind you, if all you want is a residency to do clinical practice, at best with your credentials you will be in a malignant program which is a whole different issue in itself. I would say your best bet at this point is to apply broadly 200+ programs and see how many interviews you can get. At the same time I would say it's imperative you develop connections with program directors/residents/faculty to help you get in. I see that as the only way you will get a residency. Good luck.
Where there is a will there is a way! Are you focusing on America or are you thinking of UK too?
Hello !
Here is my sincere advice for you.
First I would like to give my example. Being an old graduate, I was also unable to get into any residency Program. I always had a passion to practice medicine
in USA not because of money only but to satisfy my dream to be a practicing Doctor and also implementing my clinical skills that I carried over from my country. For this I studied from 6-11 PM everyday and full day on Saturday and Sunday after doing my full time job and supporting my family. I was doing my job in a good position in public health but continued all my struggle on the side track. Lot of expenses and taking my family time to focus on my studies did all go in vain giving frustrations and off and on depressions. Later I gave up this journey and thought that it is of no worth to run after a shadow and waste my time and energy anymore.
I would advise everyone to do hard work and apply for a certain period according to their family circumstances. If it does not work out please go to any other field and start your journey. I see people being depressed and more frustrated and also putting their family at a false hope. Please take my words positively and don't waste any more time against this Golden Track. You are wasting precious time of your life and also messing up your family and also wasting thousands of dollars. Are we following those 1-2 lucky people who got their residency by chance or their contacts?
Please concentrate on other fields like Research, and also look for jobs in health departments and Pharma industries.
Some friends will be thinking why I am asking them to change their field ? My dear friends, it is good to do the hard work and struggle but it is not wise to continue your journey so long in the hope to find Gold Mountains.
Life is short and we all need to make decisions on the basis of our years of graduation, credentials and also assess our own family circumstances.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
Try to apply for FM program along with IM specialty. As you are an old grad it is important to have continuous hands-on rotations to show the PDs that you are clinically active and can get strong US LORs. Also try to get connections they are very useful during the match process.
I was wondering if you could give me more info on the clinical research path for someone with an MD but no residency? I was looking into this as an alternate career and would love to hear about it first hand from someone in a similar situation.
Hi achalasia,

I have been struggling since a decade to get residency after passing my exams. I'm also a US citizen, passed my exam on first attempt but with very low scores. I made the bad decision chasing residency, I got influenced by others around me who kept giving me suggestions again and again, I failed to realize that everyone's circumstances are different.

I have done every single thing that IMG's do to increase chances of matching: internships- done, research- done, built connections-done, masters degree-done, publications-done, LOR from chairman- done... I did every thing I could, but ended up with nothing... this year I applied again just like throwing away money in the trash can, in hopes of 1 interview but sadly, I got no interviews, zero!

I got a MS in clinical research and have now steered into the clinical research path, I feel heartbroken and ashamed, that my greed kept me chasing my dream but also affected my family in the process who have supported me so much, financially and emotionally.

Currently I work in an academic hospital in clinical research. I would like to join the pharmacovigilance/drug safety industry and I would really appreciate it very much if you can give me some advise on the pharmaceutical career path.

After graduating with my MS degree, I tried very hard to get a job in the pharma industry, but it was impossible. I thought I would be able to get a job easily after my MS degree, but I was wrong. I thought I'm an MD and have masters degree too, so getting a job in pharma industry will be a piece of cake, but I was so so wrong! Even the pharma industry does not care if u r an MD, they want pharmaceutical experience and do not want to deal with inexperienced MD's.

Would you be ok to provide your email address, if I would like to contact you for advise or the drug safety career path in the pharma industry? Thank you in advance.
Achalasia,

It is a testament to you character that even after so many years you have the desire to help people. However, unless you decide to do med school again, it will not be possible. Most residencies have built in cutoffs for year of graduation. Also if you did do med school again and applied, you are at a disadvantage. There is an illogical bias against older applicants. Its definitely possible to overcome this, but its yet another obstacle.

Given your good heart, character and work ethic, I would recommend that you do anything where you can help people. I'm sure you will be amazing in whatever you decide to try.

I just feel that you may waste time/resources into getting a residency and that it may never pan out.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »