Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please share your advice. should i give up? - usmle4residency
Hi i am an old graduate of 10 years out of the medical school from India, but no gap, continuously working, i have given step 1 only so far with the score of 269 and rest of the exams are pending i have some research experience with publication of 21 ,but 7 of them are just case reports ,

but i was told by a friend who is doing residency that those case reports has no value as a publications, but national journal publications doesn't count as valuable one also.

i am already 32 years old, so should i continue this journey, my wife is doing her post graduation in India, she wants to start the preparation also for the USMLE, based on my possibilities to match in US for INTERNAL MEDICINE residency

because i am getting only negative feedback from everyone that because of the gap after the graduation, i will not get the chance to match in university hospitals ( i am not interested in community hospitals because i am very interested in clinical research)

friends, please share your thoughts , should i give up ? what should i do increase my chances ?please help me out
Are you for real?
enchante; why this question?
Each person's situation and thoughts are unique, but if I were you, I would certainly not give up. Your Step 1 score is fantastic and well above the mean for IMGs matching in Internal Medicine. Your publications may help you based on where and that you are applying to. They certainly won't hurt you.

Yes, you have the YOG to overcome, but many people match in their 30s. The way to do it is do get as much USCE as possible and network at the programs you are interested in. As people get to know you and see your good work, they will get you past the YOG filter that many programs have. And keep up the great USMLE scores!
You have high score in Step 1 this is a strong score which makes the application strong, also try to get high score in other steps for improving the chances.

Try to gain continuous hands-on rotations in the specialty you want to match which shows that you are clinically active and can gain strong LORs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »