Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cardio kills me.. - diamox79
A 69-year-old woman with a history of severe asthma is brought to the emergency department by her daughter because of severe lightheadedness. The patient also complains of worsening shortness of breath and progressive fatigue over the last year. For the last three months, the patient is able to walk only 2 to 3 blocks before developing a profound shortness of breath. She recently started using three pillows for sleep during the night. She denies chest pain and diaphoresis. The patient's daughter states that three weeks ago, her mother had a syncopal episode that lasted for two minutes on her way to the supermarket. At that time, she did not seek medical attention. The patient's current medications include lisinopril, digoxin, and furosemide.

In the emergency room, her heart rate is 102/min, blood pressure is 115/70 mm Hg, and respiratory rate is 22/min. Physical examination reveals jugulovenous distension and bibasilar crackles. Heart auscultation demonstrates a diminished S1, a loud P2, and an S3 gallop. There is a 1+ pitting edema of both extremities. EKG shows normal sinus rhythm with several multifocal premature contractions (PVCs) and a four-beat run of ventricular tachycardia (VT) at a rate of 128/min. The echocardiogram reveals an ejection fraction below 25% and no evidence of aortic stenosis. The patient is admitted to the telemetry unit, and recordings show PVCs and 12 runs of nonsustained VT of 4 to 18 beats in duration during the first day.

Which of the following is the most appropriate management at this time?

(A) Increase the dose of digoxin
(B) Start metoprolol
© Start amiodarone
(D) Cardiac catheterization
(E) Perform electrophysiologic study
Tough one. C or E
C........
CC.
digoxin is contraindicated in pts with VT [bc it can worsen the situation]. controlling the rate will definetly improve the EF and the whole clinical picture of the pt can be explained by the abnormal ventricular rate. hmmm my ans CCC
sammy...u are the man...C..it is...pt is more likely to go into Arrythmia...so...C..
hemodynamically unstable(severe lightheadedness) patient with Ventricular tachicardia--chronic not acute- (3 weeks ago syncopal episode) -- PLUS cardioversion not given as a choice--so i guess rate control with amiodarone...answer C.

st462...his BP looks ok to me...would u still say hemodynamically unstable..
A) Increase the dose of digoxin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »