Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it too late ? -
Amber

Hi,
is it too late to take step2ck in 1st week of sep. for the 2005 match application.....the result wud most prolly b with me by mid october.
I've heard u need to apply early if your scores r not too good.My step1 score is not good & i want my step2 score to b with me when i send applications,so that i can get calls for interviews....just on the basis of my step1 score,i have no hopes of getting any interview calls.
Please share....thanx in advance.
Sourav Majumdar - srav@mailcity.com

Hey Amber,

Do you have a choice? As in, can you pre-pone your exam if need be? If not, then my suggestion would be to stop worrying about it. It will do you no good. It will not be too late. Don't worry. You will have your scores by early October. Step 2 scores come faster than Step 1. Atleat, that was my experience. Make sure that you have everything else ready by that time, so that as soon as you get yur scores, you can IMMEDIATELY send in your application that very day or the next day. That is one way you can save time. Don't waste time AFTER you get your scores for Step 2. Ok? All the best.
Amber

Yes Sourav,
I do have a choice to take the exam earlier...my slot is july to sep.....do u suggest i shud take it earlier?It's just that i thought i'd b better prepared if i got a lil more time to study.

Another thing u've mentioned in your message is "to have everything ready by that time".....can u please tell me in detail what that means.
One more thing Sourav....i was planning to do some observership in NY after step2....wud it b possible to fit it in after sep...or shud i forget about it?
Thanx Sourav for your patience & help.
I have all the good wishes for you.
Sourav Majumdar - srav@mailcity.com

Hi Amber,

I personally feel that you should not be giving your exams till you feel absolutely ready. It is a choice of hurrying to give it and compromising on quality or taking your time and being more sure of yourself. Of course, that does not mean that you take the rest of your life to "become confident", because this is one exam where you will never feel you are fully prepared. You have to strike a balance. Set a firm deadline and work towards it. Septmeber should be fine. If you feel that you can be ready before that, go for it. The deciding factor should be more of your preparation than any deadline. It is better to go a little later fully prepared than go early and regret.

The other things that I meant that you should have ready are the usual things that you need for your residency applications - Dean's letter, CV, personal statement, medical school transcripts, etc. You can look up the ecfmg website for a list of the documents that you need to send for residency applications. Have all the other documents other than your Step 2 score ready so that you can apply AS SOON AS you get the score. IN FACT, I think you can already start your application process even without the Step 2 score. Just add the respective documents when they come in.

As far as the observership goes, you can always do it. It is never too late. US Clinical Experience always counts. You can always update your CV as and when it changes. If you have interviews in, say December, you can always tell them that you did observership from September to December. It's never too late.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »