Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i took step 1 yesterday - justagirl
don't know how it went. god please be with me that's all. i thought it was hard. and weird. it was such a blur because i was soooo scared. i don't even remember the first block.
i can't remember any specific qs. but i do know that the behavioral was really challenging. (ethics qs) make sure you really understand the basic concept behind ethics qs. try and make up your own.
sexual abuse cases, adverse drug reactions, reporting authorities etc.
mol bio was also hard. i don't have a base in it so i found kaplan/hy mol bio very inadequate. for people with a BS in biochem or mol bio it's probably just general knowledge.
i recommend getting a course textbook for mol bio and genetics, find out what they use for BS/BSc and reading that, if you are just starting.
lot's of pathophysiology and i got 3 heart murmurs. one was definitely easy, got from stem only , other two dunno , hope i picked correctly.
realised one wrong answer from 3rd block halfway into 5th block and felt horrible.
what else? i found time to be barely enough. i would have liked more time. i think you should practice to finish before time because on the exam there will definitely be hard qs that u will spend much longer on. plus every qs u will be worried.
if you are the type to freak out or have state-dependent learning, then do take the practice exam at the test center preferably a few days before your exam. it may help.
thank u all.
anything u want to ask, i'd be glad to help.
good luck..god be with you
best wishes... just try to be relax now... and pray for us..
Best of luck for ur result....

*Can u plz tell ur scores in NBME and UWSA ??

*Doing mol bio from kaplan with dvds and also from q bank + UW with good understanding is still not enough ???

*From where did u prepare for heart murmurs?

*It would be quite helpful if u could share ur sources of preparation for each subject.Thanks
Thanks for share.....wish you 99
thank u everybody..
maham_ali : only the very basics of mol bio are in kaplan and hy. there can be hundreds of qs which are outside these. but usually all the qs will be clinical. if i had to do it i would study the difference between bacterial viral human transcription,translation,replication very thoroughly.
2. mechanisms of these processes for eg. how does an enhancer actually enhance dna replication? by enabling tighter binding of dna poly to the dna. similarly for everything. a lot of detail which, if you studied it formally, you would automatically know.
i didn't prepare for heart murmurs but i downloaded some from the net and listened to them.
kaplan notes for everything except pathology
roadmap +grants atlas for anatomy. hy neuroanat (i got that exact same brainstem pic which is on most nbme forms. know that one!) identify striatum, hippocampus, gross of hemorrhagic temporal lesion (hsv?)
hy embryology
brs pathology + goljan for renal and heme/onc
brs bs ,conrad fischer bs (no use just reading these, make up your own difficult ethical dilemnas and find a logical answer to them -look at the bs qs u do and ask 'why am i 100% sure the other option is not correct?'
hy mol and cell bio
robbins to clarify any path doubts.
first aid is a treasure house of facts but u have to learn to use it. most of the time u don't even realise the fact is there. read it whenever u can, u'll keep finding new things and it's all hy
i hope all goes well now. i'm just praying. thank u all for wishes

Justagirl
Thanks a lot for ur valueable and detailed suggestions.They are definitely gonna help in shaping my prep. May God bless u with a score of ur dreams (99)...Amin.!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »