Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUESTIONS abt Visa - J1 & H1B .. pls advice! - docryuy
im not looking into cardio, some other field.

if i have j1 visa here's the path I should take : residency --> fellowship (hopefully u get in) --> waiver for 2-3 years --> then apply for gc ?

if i have h1b visa : residency --> work for an institution who will sponsor GC and work for them for 3 years (contract) --> no more fellowship? =( but u have gc right away.

how come fellowships do not want to sponsor h1b visa ??? is this true to all subspec fellowship ?? they really have their way of making it hard for imgs =(

docryuy, What you are saying is not true. There are many programs which sponsor h1 for fellowships, it all comes down to where you do your residency. If you don't want cards, then you life will be much easier on h1.
is that so @ ignored? i keep hearing everyone say, h1b is difficult if ur planning fellowship. so its only true for CARDIO, and not for the rest?

ic. thanks!
the answer is not simple. What I meant is that the name of the program you do your residency at is more important than your visa status. If you have j1 in a big shot university or H1 in a low tier university, then you should go for the first. Your focus should be on the quality of the program not the visa. If two big shot universities one j1 only and the other h1, then only in that case you can rank the h1 first.
Happy Christmas --------Its Bring Holidays For Us
Enjoy these Holidays with relish

Check my blog must please
insureo.blogspot.com
I need visa also but have an American boyfriend. I had two interviews. Two offer H1b and two offer J1. My home program (where I did rotations, town where I lived and my bf lives) only offers J1. I also really like another program which offers H1B but is about 13 hr drive away. Right now I actually tend to choose the program that is far away but offer H1B (not the only reason) over friends and family being close. My bf and I plan to get married in 2012 so for me H1B will be better since I can switch straight to Green Card from H1B through marriage during my residency. I want to do neonatology fellowship after my peds residency and it will be way harder to find a waiver job in that subspeciality and I don't want to work in an office for three years. I work as a pediatrician in an office in my home country right now. I like it but wanna get back to the hospital soon. So if you have an American partner that H1B would be better. Applying for fellowship and then later getting a waiver job is a pain in the butt and very costly. I just don't want to move after three years of residency, then move again after fellowship to start a waiver job and then move again with my family to find a permanent job.
i too want to pursue fellowship in cc after my peds residency n have found that getting a waiver in pediatric subspeciality in an area of ur choice is very difficult...no one knows what the situation would be 6 years later...but at this point of time the right decision for me was to go in for an H1 primarily to avoid doing a waiver at a place where i dont want to be...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »