Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
different programs in a same hospital - skylight97
can I apply to different programs in a same hospital ??
skylight97-

Yes, you can apply to two different programs within the same hospital.

The various departments generally do not share lists of applicants to their programs. Outside of you directly mentioning it during the interview, the most likely way for the Peds Dept to find out that you applied to IM is if they saw you on a tour with that dept AFTER you IV'd with Peds.

With that being said, you should always be honest if asked about applying to other programs at the hospital. If you choose your words properly and with some creativity, you can use it as an opportunity to strengthen your case 1) suggesting that that while IM (or peds) is your first choice, but you wanted to play it safe and not risk losing the chance to practice medicine and supporting my family....and that the skills (name your skills here) that you look forward to using in Internal Medicine could be used to be successful in Peds. That if it couldn't be your number 1 choice, IM, that at least you'd get to enjoy elements of that specialty in Peds...etc etc... 2) that you feel so at home with that hospital and the people that work there and that city that you wanted to increase your chances that to become a part of that community.

Just make sure that you at the very least apply to complimentary specialties that require the same skill set, like Peds, IM, and Family. Applying to Surgery and IM is a tough one to explain and shows lack of dedication to specialty.

Best Wishes and Good Luck,
DrBrian

ps- always consider applying to both prelim and catagorical at any given program. This has been a particularly successful strategy for my IMGs applying for surgery (Westchester, LIJ, to name a few)
Thanks drbrian
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »