Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 6 block 3 Q 14 Important note - drfuture
14.EE

Many intraerythrocytic hemoparasites survive the host immune system through rapid antigenic variation. Among babesial parasites antigenic variation has been demonstrated convincingly only for Babesia bovis and Babesia rodhaini. The molecular basis for antigenic variation in babesial parasites and its possible connection with cytoadherence and sequestration are discussed.

posted by doc_study

Although the answer is still E. But we can see from the illustration that there is no maltese cross inside RBCs nor there is evident ring forms suggesting Babesiosis. Additionally, there is an organism which is spiral shaped and big in size ( in comparison to RBC ) this is a spirochete most likely Borrelia Recurrentis which causes relapsing fever classically in the grand canyon region because of genetically programmed shifting of outer surface proteins of the Borrelia that allows a new clone to avoid destruction by antibodies directed against the majority of the original infecting organisms
sorry I did not mean to include the name of the user who posted it. Even though he/she definetly did not do it in purpose.
Hi please can you send me nbme 6 questions...i urgently need them to revise..my exam is in a few days..thanks...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »