Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme question , please help - mitmit
Hi Guys,
can you please clarify for me which is correct : DVT or Compartment syndrome and what is the main difference between these two?

. A 44-year-old woman is brought to the emergency department 40 minutes after being stabbed in the left groin. Her blood pressure is 128/84 mm Hg, pulse is 100/min, and respirations are 16/min. Examination of the wound shows a small hematoma and no external bleeding. Popliteal and pedal pulses are palpable in the left lower extremity below the injury. Lacerations of the femoral artery and vein are found and repaired. Two days postoperatively, she has progressively severe pain of the left lower extremity and swelling of the leg from the knee down. Which of the following is the most likely cause of her new symptoms?

O A) Arterial embolism
O B) Compartment syndrome
O C) Lymphatic disruption from the injury
O D) Thrombosis of the femoral vein
0 E) Wound hemorrhage
B. Sever pain and swelling post op.
hey, i chose compartment syndrome too... but if I remember right, it told me it was wrong.... where is this from anyway?

compartment syndrome takes 4-5 days to present.. 2 days post op is more likely to thrombosis is what I read..
according to uworld Q.Id : 4608. It has a similar question.
The answer is compartment syndrome because the pt has severe pain of the lower extremities.
If this is DVT- pt will be usually asymptomatic and will be complain about vague, aching pain.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »