Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme ck exam#6 - briyyah
Can someone who answered this correctly please help me with this question? thanks!:

2. a 67 year old man is brought to the emergency room because of a three day history of fever and headache. five years ago he underwent placement of a mechanical aortic valve for treatment of a sequelae of rheumatic fever. he appears ill. his temperature is 40C (104F), blood pressure is 110/65 mmHg, pulse is 110/min, and respirations are 22/min. a grade 3/6, systolic ejection murmur is heard. neurologic examination shows mild, left hemiparesis. babinski sign is present on the left. there is no nuchal rigidity. this patient is at greatest risk for which of the following complications?

a. brain abscess
b. carotid artery occlusion
c. encephalitis
d. hydrocephalus
e. venous sinus thrombosis
i'm thinking "a" brain abscess, but i'm not sure. i'm between that and encephalitis. please help. explanations of the answer are helpful too. Wink
"a"is right Infective endocarditis is complicated Infections in other parts of your body. Endocarditis can cause you to develop pockets of collected pus (abscesses) in other parts of your body, including the brain, kidneys, spleen or liver. An abscess may develop in the heart muscle itself as well, causing an abnormal heartbeat. Severe abscesses may require surgery to treat them.
Thanks for your reply theresa1978! i think i found the same article you did, way to work it out!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »