Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
couples match - should/shouldn't we? - mmr154
Hi,

I am an IMG and I am done with step 1 , CS and have 4 months of clinical clerkships + 1 poster presentation at ACP , planning to write my CK ,step 3 and gain some more USCE and research and apply for september 2015 match ( Internal Medicine).
Coming to my friend, he is done with step 1 , CS and has 1 month of clerkship.Unfortunately he failed in his CK . Now he is planning to write it again. He wants a pediatric match.
Infact we never had the idea of applying as a couple before he failed his CK.

My question:
Does his chance of match increase if we apply as a couple ( given his attempt in CK , i am scared he wouldn't math if he applies alone) ?? Am i thinking right? should he think of pursuing USMLE with an attempt in CK at all? what are the chances for someone to match with an attempt?

If applying as a couple increases his chance of match, I am ready to give up any potential IVs i would get if i apply alone.

Please someone throw light on this. It would be so helpful for us if someone can advice us on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
30 views, but no replies yet Sad
As you guys will be applying to different specialties, i don't think it will be walk in the cake.
So may be you both need to apply for pediatrics or both for IM but I don't think it increases any chance for IMGs.
@swanneck

thanks for the reply. with an attempt in CK , are there any chances for my friend to match?
I wouldn't say it's impossible.I t depends upon step 1 score, second attempt step 2 score and other things like cs without attempt, USCE etc.
if the score in step 1 is high and he can score super high score in step 2 second time, then there fail can be defended in a very easy way. But if other scores are not good and send step 2 score is mediocre, it will be difficult to explain the failure.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »