Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possibility of fellowship after residemncy from a - maskin
This is an important issue many doctors are facing. It is true that competing for fellowships from small programs is hard because the idealogy is that smaller programs dont train people well compared to bigger programs.
What needs to be done to improve your chances of fellowship?. ( I would request evry one for in puts)
Some basic things are:
Research
Publications
Contacts
Good LOR
A mentor who will guide and help you
I'm glad that somebody has brought up this issue. I've been thinking about starting a thread about this. Here are a few things one can do in addition to the list above.
1) Change the program after PGY 1.
2) Switch to Neurology after PGY 1 (and get lots of fellowship & research opportunities there).
3) Aim for a less competitive fellowship after IM training (rather than Cardio / GI), since something is better than nothing.
4) Join some research fellowship after residency, which would help one get into a clinical fellowship afterwards.

Your inputs are welcome.
Getting a competitive fellowship will be very tough from a small program.
A lot of small programs don't have research opportunities, let alone publications.
Doing electives in a good univ program may help (if your program allows that).
Maybe doing some basic research after completing residency. But not a lot of people have the patience or energy for that.
So they just go into whatever less competitive field they get.
Having said that, if you are really motivated, its possible.
hey uzma! how's it going? long time...
4) is the best option. I've heard of people making it to Tufts with that approach.
hi spencer/damnit.....i thought u had gone celebrating n had left the forum. whats up? what r u doing these days?
Celebrated enuff' man! partied....got drunk. Bored now. Planning to go back home for a while.
home? where's that. where did u match? :-)
hi guys i want peds endo n i matched in an average,not bad program in ny.i m so depressed.whats my future.is it still possible for me to get peds endo
peds fellowships are easier to get than IM fellowships
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »