Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need guide lines for next year - ayeshaabid
i am graduate of 2000. step one 75, step 2 82 in second attempt, csa pass. certified, started job i a clinic this jan.i applied tjis year not to many prog ,got nothing, i need sincere advise what should i do to get in next year.
it depends on which field you're trying to get into. somethings you could do or think about doing to add to your application for next year's match are:

1) see if you can take step 3 (and pass it).

2) see if you can get some clinical experience in a university-based or bigger hospital/program. if you can, do an externship or an observership (depending on your visa status, etc). work hard at it, show up every day (bright and early), and be sharp, enthusiatic, and always willing to learn. talk to as many people in the faculty, explain your case, see what else they advise/suggest. at the end of your clinical experience(s) get good letters of recommendation. obviously, you should have been hardworking, etc before approaching people to write your letters.

3) if you have time (depending on your family/home situation), see if you can get some research experience at the same time. meet with attendings or any members of the faculty, ask if there are any research projects already underway, with which you can help out with - indicate you're willing to work hard, and will be looking to get at least an abstract or a scientific presentation out of the whole experience, and will be hoping to submit a full manuscript.

i know it sounds like a long, hard road ahead (especially if you've been reading through some of the posts on this forum). there've been good stories, and there've been bad ones. all you've got to do, is make a plan, then stick with it.

4) when it comes time to applying, maybe (depending on your finances), think about applying to more progs, get your hands on the unfilled progs list for this year, and the last few years, maybe tailor your application (again, this depends on which field you want, how much you're willing to spend on the application, and how far you're willing to travel for interviews).

5) apply early. i can't stress this enough. most programs have a limited number of interview days/slots they give out. they start going through applications, offering interviews, but the minute those slots fill up, that's it. it'll then depend on whether they're willing to open more slots/days, or if others decline their interviews.

6) keep your chin up. you'll do fine. look at this year as a learning experience. at least you know 'how things work'. get all your letters and documents sorted out early. submit them to ERAS' dean's office early, so they get scanned and uploaded early. pick out which progs you intend to try applying to (see FRIEDA).

7) work on your personal statement. be sincere, explain 'your case', then say why you want to do whatever you're hoping to do.

Smile good luck.
thank you so much . you have given me answer in so much detail. well i am planning to go for externship ,or observership, hope fully i will get that. again thank you for guiding me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »