Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
confused about mini cases vs long cases - doublejump
It takes me a long time to come up with mnemonics to study ddx. I understand the ddx from the long cases but the ddx from the mini cases confuse me. Usually ddx are built from one or two common complaints. The mini cases have ddx built around a vignette that heavily hints at a particular dx: e.g.

67 yo M presents with alternating diarrhea and con-stipation, decreased stool caliber, and blood in the
stool for the past 8 months. He also reports uninten-tional weight loss. He is on a low-fiber diet and has a
family history of colon cancer. His last colonoscopy
was 12 years ago.

--> colorectal cancer.

Is this actually representative of the exam? I almost feel it's better to memorize a ddx list comprised of all the cases within the main category..eg. headache, confusion/memory loss, loss of vision, etc.

Does this make sense? It's just that memorizing each of the individual single mini-cases seems silly to me and I'm wondering if they actually helped anyone else.
dont get confused the mini cases just to widen ur mind dont memorize them by heart just take the idea and remember u r a doctor so u can make ur own differential diagnosis,but the important thing is to remember in the exam u will write 3 differential from the most important as the first one the 2nd,3rd
for example like this case u can write colon ca,diverticulosis,IBD
I agree. No need to memorize the D/D. Its there so that you get an idea. You can write the closet possible condition with similar symptoms as your differential diagnosis.
Double Jump,
Your situation can be addressed easily. I was once in your shoes. If you need help, check out this site...http://www.csspecialops.com/home.html
Omar28,
You are right but ur DDx must relate to the Chief Complaint, the exam is changing, they are now also looking for the magical Dx that would be considered no matter where you are. Also, symptoms are now being given as chief complaints.
For example, 25 yoF c/o vomiting several times since last night, well in the good old First AID, I never saw vomiting as a chief complaint but in all fairness, u can definitely have a case like this. So memorizing the mini cases is good in that u can manipulate your thoughts if you have an example like the one I just give above, though it could be a lil more complicated/tricky. However, I can see where you coming from but remember, $1505 is a lot of money and u dont want to pay it twice.

If you need help, check out this site...http://www.csspecialops.com/home.html
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »