Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much time does it take to prep for CCS?? - aks1987
Anyone?
ccs is very important to pass, if this is your first attempt, you will need to study and prepare very well because it is a different style of questions. you will need at least 2 weeks to cover the important cases and to learn the software. start with FRED from USMLE web site, do the 6 cases and read the instructions. do USMLE world ccs cases (subscription), do mapping ccs and first aid cases and you should be safe. good luck.

It depends on your background. If you have a medicine background you wont need as much time as someone who is in pathology or psychiatry. I would do Archer CCS review and all the UW CCS cases as many times as possible before your test (focus first on the 50+ software cases so you can practice using the software).

You have to know what tests to order based on symptoms the patient presents with to rule in and rule out the differentials the D/D. Also based on what the test results are you have to further know what tests to order to pinpoint your diagnosis.

I dont have a medicine background so I went through Archer CCS review, UW CCS cases (all 90+ cases) and Step 3 Crush CCS about 2-3 times. This may be overkill but again I dont have a clinical background so I needed to work hard and continuously go over the cases.

Good luck.
Thankyou. I do not have a medicine background. Not even from my home country and do not have a residency yet. If I do Archer CCS review ($88) and Uworld CCS (3-4 times) and cases on USMLE.org in the next 20 days will that be enough? Please let me know.
I would do 10 cases a day if you can. CCS is important. If your MCQs are weak, you want to get the CCS score as high as possible. What you mentioned sounds fine if you can do it in 20 days.

You really have to know what to order based on the symptom. For example, if a patient comes in with jaundice, you have to order cbc, bmp, lft, pt/inr, ptt first and then based on the results, you order more tests after you advance the clock such as alkaline phosphatase, etc.

You have to really memorize what tests to order based on a symptom. Like anemia, order tibc, serum ferritin, serum iron. For chest pain, cxr, ekg, d-dimer, cardiac enzymes. You have to memorize it well so when it comes to ccs it is automatic and you type in the orders quickly. For altered mental status, there are a battery of tests you order. For fatigue, there are also a battery of tests.

thanks I appreciate the input.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »