Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding rank algorithm - skysurfer64
Hey everyone. I have a question regarding the algorithm used during the rank process.

Let's say I applied to three programs (A, B, C) and ranked them 1, 2, and 3 respectively. And assume each program takes 20 interns a year. If program A ranks me 15th, program B ranks me 10th, and program C ranks me 5th, which program will I match into?

I know it's supposed to match according to best fit, but is that based on how we rank or how the program ranks us?

Thanks
Rank algorithm always in favor of applicant. So you will match at Program A, because that's your first choice.
If your position is 21st in Program A and Applicant 1 to 20 in their list all chose Program A as number 1, you will match in Program B.

According to best fit of both parties, not only the program.

Thanks!
If Program A did not rank you then, you won't have a chance there.
Hence the algorithm will now try to match you to Program B.
If Program A filled spots 1-20 and you were 15th on their list, you will have a chance there.

Thanks! I was just confused because if the system looks at your whole rank list, then even though Program A is my first choice, that hospital ranked me very low. So it would make a compromise and match me with Program C since they ranked me high and I didn't rank them very low.

But this makes sense that it prefers the students rank. Phew!
The algorithm favors preferred (highly ranked) applicants.
Your own ROL will NOT affect your chances of getting into a program (Let's say A, which is your most desired one) . However, if you are taken by the program you ranked higher, you will NOT be admitted by those on the rest of your list

For example,

A has 10 seats and interviewed 100 applicants

You ranked A first, while B 2nd and C 3rd

A ranks you No. 90, however, the 89 applicants ahead of you rank A very low and end up in the programs they want most rather than A, then you are "relatively No.1"

And B and C both rank you No.1

You will be taken by A, not B/C
If your are ranked within the available positions on any program your will match. The ROL is to tell the match what is your preferred program, you can't hurt your chances.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »