Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acid Base Balance - ben
How do you guys diff btw mixed disoders and if compensation occured w/o the Winter Formula?
anyone please
actually i know that only winter formula is reliable --but i know that there is a quick way, this is about how much is the compensation --how much far the co2 and hco3 are with each other.

but i am not sure about that now. see you later--but i can tywell you winter and it is easy and works

what iam requseting is that --the forum is not active and and it is kind of loos of time in contest of the nearby exam wny dont you give like 5 q of these type or of anything every day---it will make our time utilised at leaest we will not be only moving computer mouse
Could you give me an example of (values and explanation)
1. Resp Alkalosis + Metab Acidosis
2. Resp Alk + Met Alkalosis
i really need some help here UW is driving me insane w/ their expl
-- somebody help ben please--today is not a good day for me last night i sat on computer for a long time -- may be i can try it after my launch-- its tough for me too -- but somehow i make it in acid base balance---

key to the answer lies in the fact that others are acid base balance -- mixed are acid base imbalance -- weird --do not follow the rule--distant relative--do not know each other each other---sorry do not yell at me
Let me try to help u Ben. In primary resp alkalosis, u have high pH, low pCO2 and nl HCO3. If there's any compenstion, then u have low HCO3 to make up for the alkalosis but if u now have an additional metab acidosis component, then the HCO3 will be high. Therefore in resp alkalosis + metab acidosis, u have, high pH, low pCO2 and high HCO3. Note that the pCO2 and HCO3 go in opposite directions and this is an easy way of knowing that u have a combined disorder.
If u work it out this way, u may not need to bother with figuring out the winter's formula. I'm not sure whether it is possible to get a combination of resp alk + met alk and it is, I don't know what the lab picture will be. Maybe u can post a specific question about that and we can all try to work it out. I hope I've been of some help!
Ben, I need to correct myself! If u have a primary resp alk, u have hi pH, low pCO2 and normal HCO3. If there's a compensation, u have hi pH, low pCO2 and lo HCO3 and this compensation is simply an additional met acidosis (ie resp alk +met acidosis). If however, u have a hi pH, low pCO2 and hi HCO3, then u have resp alk + met alkalosis. The Winter's formula simply gives u the exact value for expected respy compensation in metab acidosis which if it is equal to the observed pCO2, then u have complete respy compensation of metab acidosis. It may not be necessary to calculate it unless the question asks specifically for it. I stand to be corrected in my analysis and if any one can make this clearer, then that would be a big help!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »