Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ehlers Danlos - victory1
The most common type of Ehlers“Danlos syndrome (i.e., type VI) is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion. Which one of the following extracellular matrix molecules is affected?

A: Laminin, which is the most abundant glycoprotein in all basement membranes
B: Type II collagen, which is an important component of cartilage and the vitreous humor
C: Types I and III collagen, which together have wide distributions in the skin, blood vessels, tendons, and bone
D: Proteoglycans, which regulate connective tissue structure and permeability
E: Fibronectin, which is an essential macromolecule secreted by endothelial cells and fibroblasts

C...i think

The answer is C
Ehlers“Danlos syndrome comprises a spectrum of disordered collagen biosynthesis. The clinical features of Ehlers“Danlos syndrome depend on the exact underlying abnormality but can include hyperextensible skin, hypermobile joints, large vessel fragility, and vulnerability to retinal detachment. The defect in type VI Ehlers“Danlos syndrome involves the collagens that predominate in the skin, bone, tendons, and vessels (i.e., types I and III). The syndrome results from decreased lysyl hydroxylase activity. Since hydroxylysine residues are critical to proper cross-linking, the structural stability of collagen in patients with Ehlers“Danlos syndrome is compromised. No common Ehlers“Danlos syndromes principally involve the cartilage and vitreous humor, which are structures that contain type II collagen. The characteristics describing laminin, proteoglycans, and fibronectin are all correct; however, none of these macromolecules is implicated in any of the Ehlers“Danlos syndromes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »