Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to jowest -
lisa

Are you waiting for the Match or you accepted a prematch? You probably had many prematch offers...how comes you didn't accept any? Do your programs keep many spots for the match?
Sorry if it sounds like interrogation but I would like to know your reasons.
joewest

I did have many interviews and many prematch offers. I didn't take any bc I though those places wouldn't give me the medical education I came here for. A top program and a top-notch training is the only reason why I think I'd be worth it to leave my country and live here.
There are only 2-3 programs that I'll rank. All excellent, but extremely competitive for IMG's. No prematches there, obviously. I'm not saying I'll get the position I want, but if I dont'... well, I'll just go back. Just a matter of priorities in life... Besides, the situation for docs in my country is still excellent, so financially speaking I'll be fine whether or not I stay here.
Not Joewest

Hi Lisa
We have a few things in common: I also applied to Internal Medicine, I am from the former Soviet Union republic and I am also a woman.
I want to add something - what I noticed analyzing quota at NRMP, most university programs (at least where I had interviews) did not offer pre-match, so they kept all the spots for match - it is a good thing. At the same time, programs which offered me pre-match (com./affiliated) cut the spots in a half because of pre-match - so less probability to match here. So, if you have university programs I think you will have good chance to match there (of course a lot depends on your competitiveness).
Good luck!
lisa

Thank you Joewest.

That's right, it seems that university programs go to the Match with all the spots and about the community programs, well, we've just lost them. It will be the best or nothing.

Best of luck!
joewest

Did you interview at St. Francis, Chicago late November (around the 26th) by any chance?
lisa

nope
joewest

Sorry. I met this lovely young lady from Ukraine during my interview... I can't have enough of that accent... I don't think I ever met a bad-looking woman from the former Soviet Union. What happened? Were they all killed during communism? A genetic mutation after Chernobyl? They were all sent to Severnaya Zemlya?

Cheers,
?

????? Severnaya Zemlya

qwerty

Joe,

I thought you said, you'd prematched at Cornell?
joewest

No, I did not prematch at Cornell. I didn't even interview there. There is a Joe (not Joewest) in this forum, and I think he prematched at Cornell for FP. I'm applying for IM only.

To ?: Severnaya Zemlya... Russian island, north of Siberia, closer to the north pole than I ever want to get... I've head polar bears refuse to live there bc of the cold...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »