Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
attention assusmle or anyone who can answer this - sherryaz
hi doc,
iv arranged to ge tthe letter from the dean for applying for the exam. i jus hav a doubt.can i apply for the xam with the name tht appears on my diploma certifcate or is it compulsory for me to apply with my passport name , which is very long. once i get the letter from the college stating tht the all variations of the anme belong to the same person, can i apply for the exam under my degree certificate name? and u had mentioned tht in my letter i have to mention the name tht appears on the ecfmg application as my passport name. I wanna apply with my degree certificate name as tht wud b convenient for me...coz all my certificates r in tht name.and also...the name on my passport is too long.pls guide me on this. thanx...
see usmle bulletin 2007............only courrent, full, legal and correct name irrespective of name shown in your passport or diploma...or whasever...............kinldy read bulletin thouroughly....
GL
thanx sure4
Sherryaz,
I thought your call to ecfmg office has clarified this matter for you. The reason I mentioned the name on your passport is because I assumed that the name u will use for your ecfmg application will be the same as the name on your passport. Now if the name on your degree matches exactly the name on your transcript and you decide to use that name for your ecfmg application then there is no need to submit letter of identification from your college. Ecfmg has no way of knowing the name on your passport unless u tell them.

Now your problem will start when you physically appear for the exam and present your passport to prometric as an identification document. They may not allow u to write the exam if the name on this passport does not match exactly the name you submitted on the ecfmg application. You get the point.? However, if you are able to secure a driver license and or any other US state issued photo ID that matches the name on your degree then you may be fine.

In my case it took a long time for this matter to be resolved. My application was repeatedly denied since 1992 until I figured out what the problem was in 2005. I pursued the case aggressively from 2005 till August 2007 when it was finally resolved. I am now preparing for Step I.

In summary since the name on your diploma and transcript is the same you can apply for the exam so long as you do not tender your passport somewhere along the line for identification purposes. Once again call ecfmg to get guidance on this matter. GL.
thanx assusmle.as u said, i will have to use my passport for purpose of identification.i guess thts when il afce problem. i am in the Uk right now, n here, if i need to geta lciense il ahve to produce my passport wich has my full name wich is long. and my birth certificate is also in tht name. anyway...as u said i think il call them n ask again.am very worried abt my name problem. im scared it might prevent me from appearing for the exam.thanx for ur assistance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »