Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help in choosing IM vs FM - timetosleep
Shanker patel u are right on everything you said. I truly pity people have unrealistic notions about the specialty of FM. Now for facts.

All my FM friends in texas while in residency have offers for practice after residency with a starting of 300000+ So dont ever think FM does'nt have money. This is excluding OBG. I have my uncle here who at least earns 400000+ yearly excluding OBG and I tell u he has job satisfaction and lots of time compared to my internist uncles who earn less in the NY area than him.

As for fellowship options after FM is few but still available. OBG gyn, hospitalist fellowships, Pain and palliative( a big golden duck for procedures..like a mini anesthetist), Women's health, community cardiology etc.

As for the future in US. the future is not in fellowships, but in PCP. Primary care will be stressed on more and as more and more people are out of jobs the role for the primary care practitioners rule big time

Another aspect of FM is its flexibility. U can moonlight in an ER and besides a ER physician a FM doc is given more preference over an internist for ER moonlighting. And ER as u know is one money minting shackle. one night is over a 1000$. U can have procedural licenses for most procedures and bigtime moeny. I know a FM practitioner in texas who does colonoscopy and egd. Man even a traditional cardio guy cant imagine his income. An internist will have to work his ass out and still cannot earn what a FM earns. In FM the thing is if u are hell bend on making money and ready to sweat for it the options are amble.

Believe me in most programs in Texas and big states a FM practitioner is grabbed by practices before they finish residency with big salaries... so just imagine the demand.

And guys the days of getting an FM residency with a 78 78 is gone. Most FM interviews I attended they grill ur guts out, test ur aptitude well. In my opinion the IM interviews I been to have been so relaxing than a FM interview. Scores wont get u an FM residency now. USCE showing primary care interest and a genuine interest + average to gr8 scores are the norms now. I know friends of mine last year who got into FM...(were IM aspirants) who wanted to shift to IM after 1 year... but now they changed their minds. once u in the game u realise ur folly and how things are. And guys these people are all 92+ scorers and even 2 had 99's too. So dont ever think the fact only weaklings pursue FM. u got it all wrong.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread