Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
colonoscopy - sith
i accept the answer with f but why to repet every 5 years, i guess colonoscopy every 10years and sigmoidoscopy every 5 years
so according to this answer is D
Kaplan mentions that if the first degree affected relative is younger than 60 years then it is a significant family history and screening should begin at 40 at 5 years interval. Itâ„¢s only in multiple first deg relatives (younger than 60 affected) that the rule of 40 years/ 10 years younger than the youngest relative affected applies. So in this case the answer should be C. please correct me.
yes mummy I made one mistake, byt the answ is still F. Regular screeing in Pt w/o Risk Factors colonoscopy is done age 50 and every ten years. But since this Pt has a 1st degree Family member (Father) who died of coloncancer he needs colonoscopy every 3-5 years)
(see kapan notes prev med. 05-06 edition, pg 77) It also says that relative must be Dx before age 60 w/ coloncancer, but this question does not specifiy the time of Dx so its a bit confusing but would still agree w/ ans F
Sith there is much confusion about this question again, could you pls post the explanation.
thanks. Pls post Expl's to the questions you are posting here so that we can lift some of the confusions.
Answer:

(F) Colonoscopy at age 40 and every 5 years

Explanation:

Colonoscopy is the preferred method of screening for colon cancer. Average-risk persons should undergo colonoscopy at age 50, and if normal, every 10 years. If a polyp is found, the colonoscopy should be repeated after 3 years. When there is a family history of colon cancer, screening should begin at age 40 or ten years prior to the age of the family member. The earlier date is respected. Follow-up examinations for persons with family histories of colon cancer should occur at 5-year intervals. When there are multiple family members, screening colonoscopy should be performed at age 25 and every 1 to 2 years (characteristic of persons with hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (Lynch syndrome). Colonoscopy is recommended 1 year after a hemicolectomy for colon cancer to verify the absence of recurrence and the presence of new lesions
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »