Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a tricky but definitely important a q - quansar
what cemmsk says is correct when dealing with C/S or NVD (noral vaginal delivery). but
surgical removal of EP is an idication for antibiotics. therefore A.
please see:
http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?ss=15&doc_id=10635&nbr=5572
and
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.j...ifier=4436
E???
E. I hope I'm right...since my exam is MONDAY Smile

I remmeber from Kaplan online, that there is no need for any prophylaxis for C-Section so I'm extending that concept a bit.
what is the answer quansar
© Clindamycin

she has intermediate risk for mitral stenosis with grade III/VI diastolic murmur. she is allergic to penicillin. so thinking of ...C Clindamycin
me too 2wards cc
may23,

the patient has a h/o IE, therefore is high risk, regardless of type of current valve disease.

clindamycine will be a good choice, if it was a dental procedure in a pateint who recently used penicillin or is allergic to it.

I know quansar said the answer is not A, but if you read the guidelines carefully (posted before), it is the only right choice.
cemmsk is correct in explanation. The answer is EE

This patient does not require endocarditis prophylaxis. Although both the murmur of mitral stenosis and the history of previous endocarditis would be indications for prophylaxis, it is not necessary to use prophylaxis in generally sterile surgical procedures. Preparation of the skin for surgery involves a local sterilization method that eliminates most organisms. This is done for catheterization procedures as well. Surgery and catheterization procedures do not shower the body with bacteria.

You are only at increased risk for endocarditis if you have both a significant underlying cardiac defect, as well as undergoing a procedure that causes a bacteremia.

Procedures that do not need prophylaxis are minor dental procedures, such as filling cavities and routine teeth cleaning; flexible endoscopies (neither bronchoscopy nor colonoscopy); vaginal delivery or caesarean section; cardiac catheterization; or pacemaker placement.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »