Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
q1 - gmail
why??????
32 y.o. pt comes in with sx of IBS and we are asking about 'childhood sexual and physical abuse'??

I think I'm very far from taking my exam if this is correct.
I agree with the concers, but I think by elimination it shoudl be A too

. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic disease of unclear etiology that usually presents with alternating diarrhea and constipation and diffuse abdominal pain relieved with defecation. Patients with persistent IBS who seek treatment often exhibit increased anxiety, depression, somatization, and phobias, though they rarely meet criteria for a psychiatric diagnosis. Symptoms often become worse during times of stress. Patients with IBS are more likely to have a history of physical or sexual abuse or a learned pattern of illness originating in childhood. This should be discussed with patients, particularly if the stressful episode driving their symptoms involves a parent, as getting at a root cause of psychosocial dysfunction can help improve the patientâ„¢s symptoms.

There is not an increased risk for colon cancer (choice B) in patients with IBS, and no difference in life expectancy has been found compared with control subjects.

Medications to treat irritable bowel syndrome (choice C) usually are not needed. In any case, pharmacotherapy is only an adjunct to the treatment of IBS, which revolves more around educating the patient, providing strategies for symptom control, and creating a supportive physician-patient relationship.

Dietary supplementation for fat malabsorption (choice D) is not necessary for IBS. Fiber supplements, however, can help treat the symptoms of IBS.

Although it is true that there is no cure for IBS (choice E), it tends to be a chronic disease that, though it may wax or wane, is life-long

aa
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »