Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme 4 - psychiatry - jorj
grief is bereavement (after loss of loved one)
adjustment disorder is emotional symtoms present after a stressor(which is serious but not life threating)
adjustment disorder dsm criteria requires sympmtoms not to fulfill any other mood disorder
here depreson criteria is fulfilled!!
A. At least 5 of the following, during the same 2-week period, representing a change from previous functioning; must include either (a) or (b):
(a) Depressed mood
(b) Diminished interest or pleasure
© Significant weight loss or gain
(d) Insomnia or hypersomnia
(e) Psychomotor agitation or retardation
(f) Fatigue or loss of energy
(g) Feelings of worthlessness
(h) Diminished ability to think or concentrate; indecisiveness
(i) Recurrent thoughts of death, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, or specific plan for suicide

B. Symptoms do not meet criteria for a mixed episode (ie, meets criteria for both manic and depressive episode).

C. Symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment of functioning.

D. Symptoms are not due to the direct physiologic effects of a substance or a general medical condition.

E. Symptoms are not better accounted for by bereavement, ie, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.
Junaid please read this about Grief.

Grief is a natural response to death or loss. Each year, between 5% and 9% of the population sustain the loss of a close family member. But that's not the only kind of loss that can cause grief. People can feel loss when:

* A loved one dies
* They become separated from a loved one
* They lose a job, position, or income
* A pet dies or runs away
* Kids leave home
* They experience a major change in life such as getting a divorce, moving, becoming an "empty nester," or retiring

While we all experience grief and loss, each of us is unique in the ways we cope with our feelings.
thmx for the info dream88Smile
so r u guys saying that A is the answer for this?

thanks
I read a lot of references about adjustment disorder. They all agree that supportive psychotherapy is the TOC +/- pharmacotherapy according to each individual case. Drugs which can be used are antidepressants like SSRI or sedatives like zolpidem. So I think the answer is (A). Any different opinions??
the answer is A.
thats adujustment disorder look at the temporal assocaition of the events although major deprssion and sdjustement quite often overlap.she needs psychodynamic pdychotherapy.

adjustment disordr is reaction out of proportion to the stressor
I just talked to my sister who is a psychiatrist. It's A.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »