Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Score 90 -
Parsa

Dear USMLEtaker:
Thanks. I believe that Q book is a small drop of a huge ocean and meanwhile I think all med. students know that. So sometimes I'm just wondering why my colleagues just rely on some specific books or Q banks or even First Aid and this is why we see alot of unexpected results.
To answer your question: I don't think that it would be a strong corelation between Q book and the real test but anyway it's a good practice.
You will see different type of questions: simple questions that you will tell yourself pffffffffff and bizzare ones that you will come up with this oooooooopps, I have never seen this before in my whole life. So don't rely on Q books, I strongly suggest everybody to study the basic and main concepts and try to understand them because sometimes you have to know how to use your knowledge (as a physician), we all are physician, whether pass the test or not.
Take care and good luck.
sunny - misrac3

thanks you almost scared me when you said that one need to study for ten months for a very good understanding fo all subjects but i just would have done for the approx 6-7 months when i will give my exam is it okay or does it depend upon somebody's confidence level?
would you mention about two things now for me:a]which subjects should be studied in middle and which last and b]which are the questions stores for mcqs i,e qbook nms etc just let me know please.
Parsa

To sunny:
I never said ten or six or one month, on the other hand I didn't mention any specific time for this purpose. When I said ten months sounds pretty good I meant you had enough time to sudy hard, doesn't matter you did or you didn't.
If you look at previous mails or messages you will find out that I insist on this point that everybodys background is the most important thing to get better results.
To answer your questions:
A. To me some issues needed to be studied earlier and some later: pathology, physiology and anatomy first and biochemistry and behavioral science later.
B. I can't exactly understand your second question, anyway I just used Kaplan Q book and also used ECFMG sample questions.
Take care.
yaser - y_etman

i appreciate ur support to collegues here ,,

i need ur advise for mylast month before the exam ,,,,my exam is next month

i used almost all books u mentioned & gave big concern to Pharma & biochem & microbology ,,,,

now i review my own notes & 1st aids & do MCQs

gv me ur opnion plz

thanks

IMG

To Yaser: nothing to worry about if u did whole of that, just come down and concentrate more on u r last month with same material that u have used. and do not waste u r time on thinking about the perfect way of studing.,or what r the sources the u miss.
parsa

Dear Yaser:
I Believe you've done what ever you were supposed to, just don't push yourself and I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine. As your test time comes closer you need to slow down your pace and keep and save your energy, then on your day it would be just like a tank of oil which needs an ignition and then hopefully will be ...
I don't mean you don't study at all, I just mean don't push yourself so hard, spend afew hours during the last week and don't make yourself tired: you did a good job and ....
Buttom line: Don't think about score, just answer the questions as much as you can. You did your best and I'm sure you will be OK. Take care and good luck.
Ruth - tare_aaapela

Parsa,
I am joining to say congratulations on your score. You have given some helpful info. I have always been under the impression that it is better to do step 2 before step 1, so why did you decide to do step 1 first? I had planned to do a crash course and possible start residency next year.

What do you think?
parsa

Dear Ruth,
Honestly I decided to do Step 2 first but considering this point that I can do CSA (that I don't know if you need it or not) I decided to make more room for further actions. Meanwhile keep in mind that studying for Step 2 is different from Step1: it's more stuff to read which are not easy but more attractive and if you've already done your Step1 it would be under less stress and even could be fun. Hopefully I will enroll in NRMP of 2004.
It depends on your background to make a decision about priority of your exams.
Take care and good luck.
inna - innaestep@ukr.net

hi Parsa,
I have read all advices in forum and found out that I like all your advices they are very helpful and real.
I'd like to ask you if it is possible to prepear for test at home?I was in Kaplan center last month they offer center prep, and I know people who studied there they all like this center.But I have family and child and the closest Kaplan center 3 hour away from home so I am not able to do it.
Thaks, inna
Parsa

Dear Inna:
If I were you I preferred to stay home, take care of my family and gradually (but consistently) study to myself and get prepared. I'm sure you can do it even when you are at home and meanwhile you are doing your job as a mom and wife.
I have studied by my own on my whole life and I've seen its result but ofcourse it's different for everybody with a different background and capability.
I suggest you to stay home and study by your own, but try to find Step2 Kaplan Q book. Most of my friends who passed Step 2 with a high score believe that Kaplan Step 2 lecture notes are not as good as Step 1 lecture notes and don't help you out that much.
Take care and good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »