Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychiatry Match 2012-Matchers join in!! - redguy
Smile U owe it to Dr. K. Congrats.
matched!!

Just saw an out of the match opening though at UCLA/San Fernando Valley on SDN... for those who didn't match. Good luck
congrats to all psychiatry matches.... you will love itSmile
nkmed can u plz let me know how did u see this postion I mean how can I access to this non participating programs?
Hello Guys ,

Heartly Congratulation to you guys for the MATCH.What an acheivement.

Iam also a Psychiatry residency aspirant.I have a low scores and attempts in step 1 and step 2 .I really want to be a psychiatrist .This year I didnt get any interviews due to my low score .Unfortunatly I cannot change the step 1 and 2 scores.
Does scoring high in USMLE STEP 3 helps to fetch some interviews .
Please guys give some input to this hurting soul.
How can I improve improve my application
Its really painful to not match ,when thats what you thought and prepared for it each day of your life for past few years.

Again.Congrats
THE biggest help in psychiatry match : Your dedication to the field!

Every applicant is scrutinized for the dedication. This means you need to do externship, electives, volunteer work in psychiatry. Delete from your resume, your surgery, IM, FM, peds externship, electives especially for a short time you spent. Of course if you spent 1 whole year, you can not delete it because then they will ask you what you did that time... seriously... because people abuse it so much that they want to match applicants who really want psych....and belive it or not some people really love psych!!!

Go work in the area where you want to work to keep in touch with the program. Otherwise people will match with low scores any specialty. I have seen residents with attempts and steps in 70s, old grads are doing something somewhere...

best.
congrats to all of you.i am also trying for psych residency.how do you get usce?does voluteering in mental health instituitions help the cv at all?did you guys do shadowing or externships?pls leave email so i could ask some qs
yes, dedication to the field is #1 criterion

contacts at least to get an interview

mentor support..possibly an American

start with shadowing..gradually turn that to an externship...ask your mentor if u can start interviewing the patient before he sees the pt, especially on his busy day

no one denies a free hand during rush hours

research..any publication for public/kids/communities/action research..go ask any resident/professor willing to publish if u can help them find online resources, instruments, data, etc..it doesn't involve extreme participation yet will have your name among one of the authors

again, contacts and frequent reminders during interview season, just after interview and again before final rank-order deadline

even voice mails help

start looking for contacts that will help u get an interview..friends/attendings/residents/acquaintances
rahulr, congratulations on the match. hats off to your hardwork and dedication and congrates to your family and friends as well, who are a part of your success.
I am trying for psychiatry residency. my interest is psych is fairly new, and the more I think, the more I feel myself liking psych. I am looking for any externship/ research. can you please send me the information of where you did externship and research together. if you want, you can email me the information at diya.1114. Please do send me the information.
congrates to everybody who matched un psych!! thanks a lot for the tips!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »