Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
failure cs 3 times, really no hope? - dreamlot
Yeah, I hate to be a downer, it is not 100% impossible but it will REALLY be difficult to match with more than 1 failure in any Step, let alone CS.

First, this severely limits the number of programs you can apply to. Most programs will only entertain candidates that pass all their exams on the first attempt. And on top of that, there are programs that will still interview candidates with a single failure in Step 1 or Step 2 CK, but not with CS. You will get filtered out before people can even get to see your LORs and Personal statement.

Secondly, even if you are interviewed, you must be able to reasonably explain how you managed to fail the same exam twice, and still somehow appear as someone worthy enough for the program to rank over people with superior scores.

My suggestions:
1.) You will need to apply to a less competitive specialty (FM, Psych, Peds), and apply to every program that doesn't have failure restrictions.
2.) Get as much USCE as you can manage, if you don't have any. I'm thinking at least 12 months would be ideal
3.) Get connections. Call every former classmate, or upperclassman, even a friend of a friend that is currently doing residency and have them put a good word for you to their PD. Don't forget about the attendings you did obsies with, if they are associated with any program, ask them to talk to PDs they are friends with.
4.) Get a greencard. Get married to a US citizen. YOu can't really force this issue, but if it happens, it will be better for you.

I am not sure what reasons you have for pursuing a US residency, but you can always do residency in your home country, or pursue an alternate career.
Looking for research positions to improve CV?

If interested in research positions, contact me at MariaRez2010. We have positions in different states and specialties. Some are in the top 5 universities in the US. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long. In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.”

We do have paid positions too, but you need to have had a prior experience in LAB research (chart-review and data collection do NOT really count as research experience that qualifies you to get paid). Otherwise, it's unlikely you can get a paid position. Also remember the visa limitation (you can't get paid on all visas). Some positions are non-paid initially, but may become paid with time as you gain experience and prove yourself to be productive.

We can provide a list of customers that you can contact for feedback about the service. These customers approved to be references, otherwise, we don't disclose any private information of any of our old customers without their knowledge and consent.

Thank you.
I am sorry for that dude.
Have you asked any other opinion about your performance in CS before going to the exam? How is your English?
I am done with the exam and can give you a few cases on Skype if you want an assessment before your next attempt.
Oh, I did not notice that you passed it finally.
Although you passed the English part, can it be related to your English or accent. It affects the other parts too.
Congrats for passing, in my case I still need help
Looking for research positions to improve CV?

If interested in research positions, contact me at MariaRez2010. We have positions in different states and specialties. Some are in the top 5 universities in the US. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long. In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.”

We do have paid positions too, but you need to have had a prior experience in LAB research (chart-review and data collection do NOT really count as research experience that qualifies you to get paid). Otherwise, it's unlikely you can get a paid position. Also remember the visa limitation (you can't get paid on all visas). Some positions are non-paid initially, but may become paid with time as you gain experience and prove yourself to be productive.

We can provide a list of customers that you can contact for feedback about the service. These customers approved to be references, otherwise, we don't disclose any private information of any of our old customers without their knowledge and consent.

Thank you.
A single very important question is that if we apply to a program, will the PD receive all failed CS reports or just the CS pass report? Thanks.
Nothing is impossible, but with the current competitive situation: it is very very difficult to get a spot with multiple attempts.

You need to do something major to set your application apart. Long USCE months...strong LORs...something like that.

Good luck. I wish you all the best
Long Term Comprehensive Plans for Unmatched; How a 2X Failure Got A medicine Residency Finally through USMLE upgrades, medical assisting and free university externships..

See top result:

https://www.usmleforum.com/
Hey yall I just got back from my university and they also were shocked. they day its not CS but that i need to focus my resume and get new LORs

plus i know a guy that failed step 2CK 7X of course he did not match
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »