Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to all US citizen fight for your right - marololo

I am a us citizen.

you are fighting for your right because you are not competitive enough to keep your job.

This is free market. True in automobile industry. medicine is not exception.

this is usa.

I don't understand the folks who have an issue with CITIZENS of A COUNTRY EXERCISING THEIR RIGHT TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR GOVT IN A LEGAL WAY ???

Yes, its may be a free market, yes some citizens are not as talented as the H1 visa holders, yes H1 visa holders may be smarter, yes US is currently not producing enough graduates who are ready to work in low level residencies like IM/FM, yes H1 holders could be more smarter than US Citizen but gosh !!! don't you guys have more than two functioning neurons ????
Some US Citizens are sending a message to their congressmen and senators in attempt to elaborate on the situation. Whats wrong with it?

How do the Indians feel when folks from Bangladesh, Nepal, Burma etc come to work in India and take away the jobs? Heck, Folks from Mahrashtra/Bombay don't welcome folks from any other part of India to move to Bombay for work since that would take away some jobs from the locals. How shameless can anyone be raising an objection on American Citizens who are involved in a legally correct movement within their goddamn country ????

WTF is wrong with you guys for not having an iota of shame asking US Citizens exercising their right to communicate with their govt ??

And I tell you honestly, the way this trend is moving and the way it's getting tougher to get into residency, those times may not far when H1's will be totally abolished.

free market often gives preference. when we try to correct that, we get a mess like affirmative action. Unfortunately in medicine, the US market prefers Americans.

@pedspath the US market prefers American Medical School Graduates ( and NOT Americans)...
big difference. US citizens and GC holders also fall under the category of IMG (International... ). So going to a senator etc will not yield much results. It is a free country, feel free to fight for what you believe, but like someone brilliantly posted about the auto industry.... if you do not measure up (ford, chevy) to the international brands (toyota, nissan) then you have to improve (creds)... there will be no handouts from the government! We are seeing that this past year... local auto brands have improved in quality.
@categorical

you'd probably also notice the number of IMG us citizen that are getting positions over the true FMG. I was not wrong when i stated US medical market still prefers americans.
Edit: we also know the pecking order of matching described time and time again in this forum.

AMG preferred over DO which then preferred over US citizen IMG and finally true foreign medical graduates
In my opinion, the top criteria remain... YOG, Scores and USCE.
Rest is secondary.
There is nothing wrong in giving positions/ H1B visas to IMG's as long as.. we understand the meaning of H1B. This visa is given in case you are not able to find the required workforce in the country. Earlier IMGs used to get visa's and residency positions because the number of AMG was less. Now with increasing AMG's and also with IMG's who have GC or citizenship, it will be difficult for IMG's without visas.

After reading my comment someone will definitely complain about losing talent. In that case there is a special visa: O-1 visa (really for exceptional people). If NBME has put a passing score it means that people who have passed USMLE are eligible to do residency. I am not saying that someone with a score of 80 can go for high ranking speciality such as nuero-surgery but can definitely go for FM or Psychiatry or primary care. However even low ranking programs are trying to fill the positions with people who scored 99 using H1B visa's.
So basically its the system that's causing this fight between AMG's and IMG's. Either the restrictions on H1B has to be made more strict or NMBE has to increase its passing criteria to 90 percentile and first attempt only. That is you can take your USMLE only once and have to pass with 90 or more percentile. Because it really makes no sense to pass USMLE, have no visa restrictions and still not to get any interview call.
FM programs are "chopped liver" that they should settle for 80s scores??
If there is 90s talent (not that scores is everything anyway) then any program can go for those candidates and will.
People from other countries seeking visa/etc...while US citizens are pushed aside b/c the other has higher scores & more competitive?
medicare and medicaid and us govt funds these residencies which come from US tax dollars...

We want our residency!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »