Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGY4 position - redtea
I found this website, http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html
It says in most states, the initial licensure requires at least 2 or 3 years training at a ACGME institute, but it doesn't mention the training has to be at the residency stage. But yes, it could be very hard to get in a fellowship without residency.
That site doesn't mention residency, but NY state's does:

"Experience

Postgraduate Training Requirements

Graduates of Registered or Accredited Medical Programs
If you graduated from a NYS- registered or LCME- or AOA-accredited medical program or are pursuing the 5th Pathway route to licensure, you must complete at least one year of postgraduate hospital training in an accredited residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association, or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.

Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs
If you did not graduate from a NYS-registered or LCME- or AOA-accredited medical program, you must complete at least three years of postgraduate hospital training in an accredited residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association, or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. For more information, contact the Medicine Unit "

My point was simply, don't assume successful completion of a fellowship will allow you to practice as a licensed physician.
Something cross d my mind. I have rarely seen fmg who do fellow..but from uk...I mean pure uk...not other immigrants...and had md from london...one from torento...again not immigrants...pure British or canada...and were attending back there..one was a well known surgeon...this case...they cud get in a fellow in the us..still not practicing...just assisting us mds ..and paid cheap as u c. U need t complete residency t practice. No fast or easy way out. Gl
The reason why some people will do PGY4 is that it will help them get into the US system and will work their way backward into residency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »