Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alhumdulilah, Allahu Akbar, SubhanaAllah - passed - frazzled2014
Heartiest CongratsssssssSmileSmileSmile
By the way , one advice I would give to future test takers is: work on the CCS component . I feel like my scores would have been higher if i had done well on that. And its weird, cause I thought I followed protocols but still did mediocre.
Dear Frazzled2014

Many many Congratulations to you . I think Allah paid back every good things that you have done in this world by this reward.
@frazzled2014

Congrats!
Here is my story :

First of all, thank you everyone and congrats to everyone who has passed.
Again, thank Allah SWT for everything. I also need to thank my dear husband who has done sooo much for me that there are not enough words to describe it.

I forgot to thank soonck since he/she is the one who shared the offline the nbmes with me. Thank you again and again. =)

I started studying 27th or 28th of February and my exam dates were may 23rd and may 27th (Thank Allah again for the memorial weekend). I am soooo glad that I had days in between which I think calmed and prepared me a lot for Day 2. I know to some of you its not a great score, but to me its an awesome score because after coming out of the exam, I knew for sure that I failed it. Just a bit about day 1, during block 5, my tears were jamming up in my eyes because I had no idea what was going on. I never felt that way for any of my steps, never.

Let me talk about the prep now:
Did all step 3 kaplan videos
Used MTB 3 - all of my notes from kaplan and uw went there.
Read through Next Step Management - a great book after going through MTB
Did archer videos - but initially I was frustrated. So what I would recommend is listen perhaps the first video and then work on the CCS from the UW. Then after completing all 52 cases, listen to all of the archer videos because that way you will put EVERYTHING TOGETHER.
Did kaplan q bank - Kaplan first time all new qs, timed : 54%
UW q bank - Over all unused qs correct, timed : 55%
Please do all unused first, to get a better understanding of where you are standing.
I took notes for both of the q banks.
UWA : before I took the assessment, I was aiming for a really high score, after taking the UWA on may 10th, I shattered. I cried like crazy to my husband that what have I been studying that I did not do well. I barely passed that assessment and I was SHOCKED.
2 weeks left of the exam, contemplated if I should change the date or not. Since my husband is in medical field, we went over the questions and answers, he confirmed me not to change the dates because he thought that I know my things and I just made silly mistakes. When it came to eliminating 3, I left with 2, of course I had to pick the wrong one. I trust him very much and did not change the dates.
Did not do any NBMEs. Soonck a week before or two, gave me offline nbmes and my husband and I did the blocks together - he had a separate sheet for his answer and I did mine.
Afterwards, I felt a little better and I started picking up my studies again.
Usually I would do my best to study 7-9 hours a day and before 2 weeks, I did 12 to 13 sometimes.
I did take the practice exam in the center which helped me a lot. I know that fred software has the same questions, but it definitely helped me very much to do it in the center.

DAY 1 :
I had a good night of sleep Alhumdullilah and ate the proper breakfast.
Questions were longgggggggg and I had all 47 questions.
Block 1 - tutorial
Block 2, 3 and 4 - office
Block 5 - ER/in patient
Block 6 - ER/in patient
Block 7 - office
Block 8 - honestly do not remember
I had stats/research questions in every block. For my other steps, I always had extra time, but for this step, I did not have time to go over the marked questions, just choose the one that I was debating between two choices.

DAY 2 :
I was really hoping for lighter questions and boy oh boy - they were longg questions and of course not long as day 1, but 98% of the questions were wrong and again I did not have any spare time to looked over my marked questions.
No stats on day 2 =))
Here comes CCS :
First case I messed up a little. There was one case I had noooooo idea what the child had. I ran all sort of tests and all were negative. To be honest, UW CCS and archer are good enough. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
For the result on CCS, it was a little above borderline alhumdulilah =)

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to give back to this forum as it has HELPED ME A LOTTTTTTTTTTT..

If anyone has any question, please do not hesitate to ask. I am not in residency, hence, this exam was HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for me.
Also, if anyone needs any help with CCS, I will do my best to help out via skype after this weekend since we are leaving town for the weekend.

Good luck to all and thank you to all of my forum members. =))))

Congrats!! Excellent help!
thank you for sharing ...very helpful
No problem guys. I honestly did my best to give you every possible details that I can. As long as it helps, I will continue to help in my best ability inshAllah.
Well done!!!
How did CCS go?
Did you get all the diagnoses correct or think you messed up any cases???
@ Jsd:
CCS - as I mentioned one case I had nooo clue. The rest of 11 cases I was able to type in my diagnosis.
Another case - It took me more than 4 mins to figure out the dx, but then I ordered a test and that came positive, then I was treating the pt accordingly, right away case ended.
Except for one case, I had diagnosis for all the other cases.
I hope this helps =)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »