Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can i retake my exams - surabhi222
@drminga they probably werent ecfmg certified and had over 7 years from first step
There were exceptions for retaking the exam. I remember if the state board needs 7 years since finishing your exam so if your last exam was in 2007, you can apply for that particular test. Sorry it's just something I read before. I wish someone more knowledgeable than me would answer this.
You cant apply for a retake, you need a letter from the state board etc.. All this is after residency, so it doesnt help with matching. If you are ecfmg certified, you are allowed to match, no way around that.

Im also curious if you have been practicing medicine at all since 2002 as a medical doctor.
After i graduated in 2002 i practiced in India in IM for 3 years as a Primary care doctor. i came to USA and did basic research and have 3 publications.

I worked as a medical assistant for 4 years at urgent care FM clinic. Also did some clinical research. I did observership and externships.

i got some FM interviews in 2008 and didnt match. I just quit residency pathway b/c I had lot family and financial crisis. to support my self i picked up a teaching job for community college students.

The chances for me to get into residency is none to slim. I am looking some alternate pathways not really sure what i will do.

i appreciate everyones input and help . You are all very kind. i wish everyone goodluck at every step.

I have a similar question. I gave my step 1 in 2009, CS in 2009 and ck in 2011 and ECFMG certified in 2011 but not done with step 3 yet. so by what year should I complete my step 3, if I don't take my step 3, what will happen to all my steps. Are they get cancelled? if so can I write all my exams again.

Thank you.
Res2013 you have until 2016 to do step 3 if you want all steps to be within 7 years (some states require this). If you apply for licensure in such a state in 2017 or later then you have to retake step 1 before they grant you a medical license, you need a letter from the board etc. So it will all depend on which state you plan to practice in, and they might waive that requirement anyways. I dont really see the point in trying to improve step scores after residency, so I would just do step 3 within 7 years if possible.
Hi, surabhi, if you had iv opportunities back in 2008, that was your best shot at residency - 2008 were a lot less competitive comparing to residency now - you have a lot more fresh graduates with insane usmle score these days, and these people did not even start their medical school in 2008. Family and financial support are important part of the process. I am sure if you had these and continued, you probably would have succeed in 2009 or 2010. So you are not entirely at fault, you tried your best, don't treat yourself too harsh, this is not the end the world.
All of you are so helpful and i appreciate your time, help and the good advice.

If any one wants to go to gulf countries or if you plan to pursue any alternate pathways and keep applying residency, please let me know and leave your skype id

Lets stay in contact and help out each other

Thank you
Hi, surabhi, one's success or failure in life can not be judged by this match or his/her usmle scores, I am sure you will be successful somewhere down the road whatever you embark on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWUChqDaQ24

hi kash_md,

i wanted your advice about applying for residency fellowships
can you email me at ketaki20102010,

thank you
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »