Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme2 - serious
eric. it is very hard (but may be too easy) to answer aftr readin other peple's anwers. Even tho I try no tto read before answering, sometime I end up reading them. I try not to to be influenced by it, unless I ahev absolutely no clue to what the answer is. Even tho grb B strep is the most common, if mother is symptomatic and there is generalized signs, hepatomegaly, low platelet ct etc steering me to listeria.
Even though listeria is also likely to be the cause, group B strep occurs more commonly than listeria. If meningitis is suspected, the likelihood of the causation appears in the following orrder....group B strep, H. influenza and then listeria. There is no clue in the text that is suggestive of listeria. Usually at 37th week of gestation, there is a test for Group B strept. it is only when it is negative that the suspicion of other bacteria comes into play. Alibism
-listria can be considered because of septicemia and hepatomegaly and pneumonia /

i just read it that listria can cause pnemonia in neonate and immunocompromised.
Group B and Listeria r possible but Xray findings ..may have some clue here to decide...it seems like atypical pnemonia so its seems like Listeria
F Listeria monocytogenes
always should be considered FIRST in newborn who has septeceimis.
THANKS

REH, I JUST NOTICED YOUR POINT TOO. THERE ARE BILATERAL PULMONARY INFILTRATE IN THIS CASE.

IN GROUP STREPTOCOCUS PNEMONIA THERE SHOULD BE WELL DEFINED CONSOLIDATION.

NOW WE HAVE SEVERAL POINT IN FAVOR OF SEPTICEMIA NOT FORGETTING THE POINT OF LETUSDOIT--LISTRIA FIRST--IN NEWBORN SEPTICEMIA
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »