Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am done Guys! - drmaxdias
Sure; do put it up!
An overweight 60 year old white male comes to your office for an early appointment to know about his cholesterol and heart disease risks. He is a diabetic for the past 25 years, smokes 1 packet per day for the past 20 years, has mild hypertension and is on a betablocker for that. His elder brother died at the age of 52 suddenly. His father had a stroke at the age of 72 and died later.You send for his fasting lipid profile. You discuss with him the ways how heart disease risk is calculated.When telling him about his coronary artery disease risks,Which of the following IS NOT A RISK FACTOR for CAD?
a. Hypertensionb. Smokingc. Brother dying of probable myocardial infarction at 52d. Diabetes Mellituse.His lipid profile showing a Low HDL levelf. His age
D. Diabetes Mellitus; it is not a RISK FACTOR; it is disease itself!
D. Diabetes Mellitus; it is not a RISK FACTOR; it is disease itself!
yah thats what i too feel.....

thx a lot doc.....going to bed now c ya morrow...
yah thats what i too feel.....im sorry abt the late reply again having internet issues

thx a lot drmax.....c ya morrow ....going to sleep now
Hey brother ronaldo; there are some problems in the forum. I shall get back in a while; hopefully by then, the problems are resolved! Take care! All the best! Study well! You will rock!
What is the problem usmle_alert?
hi everybody,

GL drmaxdias
i'm sure u'll get a gr8t score

can't add much to the great discussion going on .... just couple of comments

the AIDS pt. who has anorectal cancer...... anything in the question hinting that it might be kaposi's sarcoma?? coz in that case Rx will be reducing viral load (antiretroviral combination rx) and intralesional chemo...... anus is a common site for kaposi's in aids pt.
also possible in aids pt. ---> HPV related sq. cell cancer for which rx is the usual options ..Sx,chemo radio rx

the DM pt. with LDL of 95 .......u can still give statins under 2 scenarios.....
1- the NCEP update states that 70 can be an optional LDL target for those with CAD/CAD equivalent. so depending on ur assessment of other risks u can still elect to give statins. the pt. in ronaldo's q. deserves a LDL <100
2- if TG are >200 mg/ml the u should acheive the 2'ry treatment target : non HDL chol. <130 ( after acheiving ur 1'ry rx target of LDL<100
btw..ronaldo... all are definitly RF ...DM is the biggest among them
hey brother max dont get hurt this is the rule in this world when u do charity people abuses you and that is the problem with usmle alert
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »