Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interview at baylor........... - srik
No, Darwin is not right. Several residents there are/were not from Aga Khan or AIIMS, and they didn't need to use any rare influence to get there (neither the people from Aga Khan or AIIMS). Maybe Darwin wasn't invited or matched there and tries to justify that by seeing weird things going on. Please don't discourage others. IMG are not called as "fillers", not in Baylor nor in other programs....it will be a waste of time or money to do that for any program (do you have an idea how much money each candidate invited cost to the programs?).

Just go for it, and good luck.
One thing I noticed about Baylor...atleast in O&G they are really trying to encourage diversity...I saw that the residents came from different countries(about 20%were IMGs) and so were the interviewees. They love UK degrees and the AIIMS myth is not true.It is just that they are looking for that extra bit that differentiates you from the rest of the IMGs apart from good scores,prior exp and USCE.
didnt get u dochoc,do u mean 2 say in addition 2 scores and all other things? like enthusiasm,commitiment etc etc,i am sure everybody who attends an interv says that n tries 2 look like that,?do u mean by extra bit? very very smartSmilekindly eloborate,as i said one of my frnds has an IM interv there.thanks.

everyone is entitled to have his own opinion.
90% IMG there are from those colleges.
I am not discouraging anyone. But the truth stands out. you may accept it or not.
I have i/vs in far better places that are among the best.
statistics are more important for some than anything else.
You are right, everyone is entitled his/her own opinion...but since you mention that statistics are more important, please check yours. Last time I checked, about 40% of IMG were from those colleges...not even close to 90%. Anyway, good luck in your "far better" interviews. I am sure Harvard, Hopkins and UCLA will be glad to have Darwin as a resident. And yes, you are discouraging people, "you may accept it or not".

Good luck again.
Sorry for being late.
Yes, I am an IMG. Apart from good scores I have completed residency in Internal Med. Reputation wise Baylor seems to be the best call I have. I am yet to see the program.
Hi,

I would say Darwin is right.

Last year all IMG were from AIIMS/Aga Khan. I have checked the website also, and all the residents who are IMG's are from these two, with 1-2 exception.

So, I genuinely think there is something more to it.
PLease guys clarify what spetialty you are talking about...this topic was started about obgyn program and then it seems that you are talking about IM..
Thank you..
1. Again, last year less than half were from AIIMS/Aga Khan. Check again the website (unless you are not talking about IM), and you will find that 40% of residents are from there...not all but 1-2.

2. 40% still look like a lot to you? If you check the resident list from different places, you will find that there's a predominance of one country or medschool in almost each and every one of them. That doesn't mean that there's something weird happening under the table. PD's can pre-qualify an AMG candidate based on their medschool of origin, because the reputation of these are well know by them. The same cannot happen with IMG since there are too many countries and medschools to know them all...so choosing an IMG is a gamble for them. Whenever they are happy with one IMG, they will tend to look for someone from the same place on the next match, since it is a safer bet. The opposite will happen if they are unhappy with one resident...people from that medschool or even country will have a harder time to get into that program. PD's don't want to take risks, that's it...there's no more into it.

3. Leptin, sorry for turning this into IM...although I didn't started it.=)

It is OK ..I just don't want people to get confused..because in Obgyn they have IMGs residents and they are from everywhere.
BTW necker, thank you for your posts!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »