Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiation oncology - gray
I think ur frustrated ... Just be cool and relax a bit ...

believe me there are not going to be lots of unmatched posns in March 2008.

Every body says this before every match that there will be lot of unmatched posns this year ..

The supply is more than the demand ... This is a fact ...
hey guys,
I too wantted to apply for radiation oncology, but you guys sound too scary.. I am an IMG, fresh grad, have three papers published in rad onc.... do u think that will make difference if i apply???
hey disinfectant, what are ur scores? Have u applied? where did u publish? I have few abstracts no publications.Please email me at status12.
gray,

I don't me research in a lab. You guys are going to have to get out of the lab and the library. This is real life. I meant researching the job market. You need to see how many spots there are and what people's stats are. I took a cursory look at the stats and applied to another field.

I don't know much about Rad Onc. If there are Rad Onc fellowships to be had I would apply to them. Once you do a Rad Onc fellowship then you can maybe get on faculty at a US medical school. I know it sounds weird but it does happen in certain fields. After you are on faculty go to conferences and make contacts then apply for a residency. Otherwise apply for peds or psych. Those are your options

Rad Onc is way competitive. Your chances are slim and none. Why do you think all the foreign guys are applying for IM, FP, and Peds with 99s. Do you think they are idiots? They know the score. Time to stop chasing dreams and deal with reality. Please check out the fellowship route.
I know a Med student from Yale with an MD/MBA with publications in rad onc, 96/95, who interviewed at 12 places for rad onc and didn't match. If you want to make residency application a career, apply for rad onc or derm.
I have applied to backup programs in IM.But somehow I thought that I may have a chance.My current work is in Cancer Biology. I belive Fellowship is not an option in Rad onc without any previous experience (residency) in Radonc.
gray,

When you say you believe rad onc fellowship is not an option is that because you just think that or because you called up numerous programs and that's what they told you?

I would have thought the same thing but several doctors I know did fellowships in the US WITHOUT doing ANY of the USMLEs. I think the situation is different from specialty to specialty, year to year and program to program.

Get on the web and more importantly get on the phone and call PD up and ask specifically about doing some sort of fellowship. Don't mention you want to do a residency after. If they ask tell them you want to teach and go into research and eventually return to your home country. Once you're in then start looking for a residency to try and get into after fellowship. Research this option heavily. Its unconventional and I don't know if its possible, but if it is wouldn't you want to give it a try?

Good job on the IM back up. Good thinking.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »