Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy q...... - drock
the bottom line fr mesothelioma is exposure , the'll always mention that in the ques. the pt may or may not be a smoker .
hi spring09...asbestos exposure also causes adenocarcinoma....the question should say in my view columnar like cells(epitheloid form of mesothelioma) ...not columnar cells (which refers to adenocarcinoma.....
its cc mesothelioma due to location and also long villi which are present in meso as compared to short in adeno

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/280367-diagnosis
yes i agree with long villi ....but i cant find any article which says columnar cells in mesothelioma...
ur right yeabiruh...
this is wat goljan says ... asbestos + smoking = primary lung cancer(most common)
but he also says , meso typically takes 25-30 yrs , while adeno takes about 10 yrs to develop.
i'm confused , if i go by the history !!
No offense but question is not written properly...what i mean is that its part from here and part from there put togather with dual diffrentation.....I would also answer this as mesothelioma...I look at as this being 75% percent toward mesothelioma as compare to 25% toward adenocarcinoma.... If we get qeustion like these in USMLE...then we'll all end up pulling our hair all day at the exam...Yeabiruh is right
Adenocarcinoma - columnar cells and cubiodal epithelium in mesothelioma...again i hope i didnt hurt anyone's feeling...
timbucktoo you are right. We have to pull our hair :-) But probably these type of question will be less than 5 in the whole exam !!! I don't know. Like you will see at NBME there are lots of controversial questions. Anyway, I just copy and paste the q from qBank. This question made me really really confused.
From UWorld:

Cells of adenocarcinoma, which can show glandular or papillary elements, have short and plump microvilli that distinguish adenocarcinoma from mesothelioma
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »