Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smokers in US residency ? - niku
If interested in research positions, contact me at marriet2012. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long. In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.” Thanks.

There were some complaints that no reply was sent. Please be patient, and you should be replied in the order your email was received.

P.S.
Users "marriot" (with an O not E), marriet2012, matissiti, aditi_patel, abba300, and marriet_is_a_scammer, you all are the same person, and you keep making new IDs. Your posts are funny, but you're deceiving users, making them think you're me. Please stop it. Thank you.

P.P.S.
@abba300, marriet2012, marriet_is_a_scammer, or whatever your next ID is going to be:
Please keep posting and pushing the threads to the top so more people can view them. We're getting more emails from customers. We really appreciate your help. Please accept my apology for the previous arguments. Thank you very much Smile
This is very progressive stuff, but I sympathize with people who have been smoking for years. We all know how tough it is to quit.

I remember in one of my interviews, they showed me a sample contract and its section on its drug/alcohol/tobacco policy. They forewarned me that I will be screened for nicotine in the urine. I was shocked! I don't smoke but I never imagined hospitals would enforce this policy so soon.

I wonder what happens if you're on the nicotine patch? Does the test specifically look for nicotine in the urine or another metabolite?
If interested in research positions, contact me at marriet2012. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long. In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.” Thanks.

There were some complaints that no reply was sent. Please be patient, and you should be replied in the order your email was received.

P.S.
Users "marriot" (with an O not E), marriet2012, matissiti, aditi_patel, abba300, and marriet_is_a_scammer, you all are the same person, and you keep making new IDs. Your posts are funny, but you're deceiving users, making them think you're me. Please stop it. Thank you.

P.P.S.
@abba300, marriet2012, marriet_is_a_scammer, or whatever your next ID is going to be:
Please keep posting and pushing the threads to the top so more people can view them. We're getting more emails from customers. We really appreciate your help. Please accept my apology for the previous arguments. Thank you very much Smile
Fact is people are people, and we are all biased. I'm not a fan of smoking, and dont allow smoking in my house or car, cause it stinks even after the person leaves, and I dont care for 2nd hand smoke. Imagine being interviewed by an attending who absolutely detests smoking, or even the smell, they dont have to say anything, but you never know for sure maybe that contributed to their biased point of view about you as a person.

Like someone stated above, imagine trying to explain to a copd patient, just how bad things are, and how they could be dead in 5-10 years, if they dont stop now. Once they smell it on you, best believe they wont take it seriously.

I work in the hospital, and notice that some employees have to cross the road, in order to be able to smoke. Never noticed any doctors doing it, just 1 or 2 techs. Fact is, it is frowned upon, and lots of talking goes on in the hospital, and no one wants to be the guy that is talked about all the time, or used in a joke.

Oh and yes, several hospitals now have it under their contract to check, esp since health insurance know that give a smoker 20+ yrs, and he/she is more of a liability than an asset, and would cost them money.
I will tell you my story:

I'm from a small country in Europe,
While i was in SCHOOL (do NOT confuse with high school !) - 60-75% of boys in my class were smokers.. i also had a smokers in my family.. - so basicaly that's how all have started...
Now i'm doing a residency program in surgery in the MAIN/CENTRAL Hospital from my country and honestly - we can smoke (unofficially) inside the hospitals (on balconies) AND we do have places to smoke even in "surgery blocks" (i mean it's like a small rooms with good ventilation on the surgery floors)...

In my opinion, when we are talking about the smoking "on the level of country", nobody really cares about someone's health; all that matters for goverment/private companies is MONEY, wich are lost as:
lost hours from work (to smoke 1 cigarette you need ~10 min X 10-20 cigarettes per day = 2-4 hours/day);
health expences;

So what i'm tring to say is that:
- not everyone like USA has fully realized the negative impact of smoking on economics, so it all depends from country to country.... although the general tendecy is clear...
- why i was asking about smoking in US ? - bc i suspected that it will be an issue but i was not sure about the gravity of situation !

Finaly:
I want to thank everybody for their advices/info;
I really appreciate this and consider most of them quite objective;
I will try to make correct conclusions and adjust my behaviour..

P.S.

kashvi,
[It is like asking " will the residency programs have a problem if I smoke crack?" !!!] -> Fortunately cocaine and nicotine - are two different things.. Smile)
[How can you be advising patients about preventing lung cancer and health problems and then going out of the building for a smoke break yourself?!!!] ->
and how can you be advising patients about PREVENTING:
- STD's and then going out for a parties and having sex with someone;
- CV diseases and then --- eating high carbs/fats food in hospitals cafeteria;
- Healthy way of life (i.e. gym, sports etc.) --- and not having an athlete appearance;
- etc..... Smile

@niku

Rnt u a typical addict?? Finding ways to defend urself by pointing fingers. Look dude, whether u smoke or dont smoke , no one really cares. Its ur life and its upto u to do what u want. We all know how bad smoking is. If u want to still do it, it's ur problem, ur career, ur life. Go ahead.
hey hopefulll,

of course I am., it's the same as Caffeine addiction, but not Crack, Smile
and i was "Ok" with smoking, until the residency in US.
Now it becomes a serious argument in quit smoking..

P.S.
My goal of creating this thread was - to figure out the real situation with smoking in US - not to create Offtopic..

Hi! I just want to talk about some of those examples that you have used above to "justify" your smoking!! Heres what you say :

[and how can you be advising patients about PREVENTING:
- STD's and then going out for a parties and having sex with someone;
- CV diseases and then --- eating high carbs/fats food in hospitals cafeteria;
- Healthy way of life (i.e. gym, sports etc.) --- and not having an athlete appearance;
- etc..... Smile ]

Let me tell you that ALL the DOCTORS especially in the US are very careful and particular about STDs!!....We dont just go out for a party and have sex with someone!! USA is not about sex as it is often portrayed in films. Perhaps you should rethink your decision of coming to serve the US population if this is the respect that you have in your head about USA!!!.....I have several doctor friends and we all go out to party but we NEVER have sex like the way you are talking. We ask someone out, start dating, get to know that person well before we jump into sex!!...and even then we are extremely very careful not to contract any STDs!!...I even get my dates tested for HIV (no joke!!)....and so do all my friends. They always use condoms. The medical community especially is very careful when it comes to contracting STDs and no doctor does anything foolish!!!

Now about CV diseases....and high carb foods in the cafeteria....Every doctor I have seen here is health conscious...Just becoz they are there doesnt mean that the docs are eating everything!! ALL the docs here are health conscious.

and likewise everyone takes care to schedule exercise in their routines. Even hospitals have a gym in some cases. And appearance never dictates much....I know a lot of docs who look fat but are copletely healthy when they are checked up!!....So, I am just surprised How you can even form such bad notions about the DOCTORS in the USA!!!.....Perhaps you shud seriously reconsider your decision of coming here!!

And yes, the hospital where I work right now does have a strict no smoking policy and even a checkbox for smoking/non smoking on their forms followed by that nicotine test. The PD will not even accept the resident into the program if he finds out that you smoke. This is USA. The laws here are pretty strict unlike other parts of the world where there is a lot of corruption. Even at the entrance , the security can notice whether you smoke or not and how many times you walk out to "take a smoke"...and forget about asking for smoking lounges!!...

And one more thing...You cant really say that smoking cigarettes is different or better than smoking crack!!...First u should realise that it is equally bad to smoke cigarettes..just like smoking crack. But unfortunately, being raised in a household of smokers has made u think that smoking is okay!!...Smoking is just as bad as smoking crack. First get this into your head!!...And Caffiene addiction is actually legal. Caffiene is a legal drug!!....Drinking and coffee is perfectly fine while cigarette smoking is NOT!!....So, dont compare smoking to coffee!!...They are totally different things!!

So dont be such a hard addict/...Just Quit smoking and enjoy life. GL.

leena91,
Relax... Smile
I didn't intend to offend anybody concrete.. and my advice to 'u - NEVER say: "NEVER/NO ONE"; the world around you is not so perfect.

I'm neither "justifying" smoking, nor denying the fact that i have dependence ! -> THAT IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF THIS TOPIC !
People told me how the things are in US - i decided to tell them how the things were in my case, that's it, point.

GL.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »