Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any chance of getting matched??very depressed!!! - ragol
If u decided to move on , do it !! Don't listen to anyone else, that will decrease ur confidence and will surly affect your performance in step 1, as this is the most difficult step ( as far as i am concerned )

Who knows ... What the future offers u ,

My advice ... Have faith in god , and move on !
I'm not entirely sure, but I think a foreign MD equivalent prevents DO acceptance.
As dad as I have heard and searched, if you are Ecfmg certified then you can apply for DO school and sart your school and keep applying for usmle both ways allopathic and osteopathic. Being doing DO school with make you American grad,though you have Medical degree from any other country so that's a plus point . There are some institutes in US for osteopathic medicine who take ECFmG certified applicants. It's Gona cost you a lot . Money time and lots of hardwork but surely there are chances.always keep back up plans. Good luck
every program i interviewed this season is aiming for almost a 100% pass rate at their board exams...they dont want candidates that failed usmle because they have higher chances of failing the boards unless you failed once but was able to redeem yourself by scoring very high in other steps. your case is the opposite Sad but if i were in your shoes, i will still give a try just to satisfy my chances of .being that lucky exceptional candidate that will match with a poor CV
another issue is that by the time you complete everything, what year will it be? By then your year of graduation is going to be a lot higher and also, its estimated that as the years pass the number of IMGs accepted will be decreasing significantly because of the new US medical schools that have opened and will be graduating their first classes around 2016. I wouldn't suggest DO school because it will be VERY expensive, take 4 years plus COMPLEX exams which wont be as hard as USMLE but wont be that much easier also. Thats why I still stand by Physicians Assistant which is only 2 years, not as difficult especially since youve already gone to medical school, and youll still be doing pretty much the same job but without the full responsibility, and income is good. But if you really feel you will regret not trying, and dont mind doing all the work and maybe not getting anything out of it, and have the money, then go for it--dont have regrets. GL!
@ragol

People are pointing towards your weaknesses and red flags. I think that you have a very major plus point and that is GC. You don't need a visa sponsorship.

My advice would be to study for Step 1 very well. Try to get a stellar score in it.

There are certain states that are like heaven for old IMGs with GC/US citizenship. NY is one example. I know that some IMGs in their late 50's or early 60's ,but not needing the visa sponsorship, got accepted into some hospitals in NY.

So lets cross the bridge when we come to it, as they say it.

Your first task would be to pass step 1 and be ECFMG certified.

GOOD LUCK
Anony36

having a GC is a plus in a RELATIVE manner to someone who doesnt have one. You do realize that there are so many students who have citizenship/GC with bad scores/failures straight out of school who still dont match, right?
dont believe the crap about not being able to get into a DO school it is definitely doable
most of these guys are right...your chances are slim ...ive experienced that personally...but i advice you to look into Nurse Practitioner...getting into PA schools is not easy...you cant start of as an RN and do your MS in nursing part time....PA you will have to spend 2 years getting core courses and then maybe you will or wont get in and the PA courses are not IMG friendly...NP is a better route..but its harder to swallow..
So wait...some of you are really suggesting to come to the US, finish steps, apply for match for a few years, likely not succeed, study for and take the MCAT, apply to DO schools, pay full tuition for 4 years, take comlex, then apply for residency again?

Wow, I'll give y'all credit...you really don't lose hope easily.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »