Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 3 Passed!! Thank you GOD!! - diverticulosis
Hi sam, sorry to hear about what you're going through. U know we put in so many years and sacrifice so much to get to a certain point and sometimes life just doesn't seem to be to kind to us. I'll give you some general advice, I hope that some of what I say might get you on the right track Smile

First things, when you say "old" IMG, exactly how old? Are you a US citizen or do you have a green card? Some people consider 2010 old, others say 2005 or before, some are from the US, others have never been here, how about you? The reason why I'm asking is many programs have an automatic cutoff date for when someone has graduated from medical school as well as rules on being a US citizen, visa status, etc. Now if you've been working as a physician in your home country thats a different story, but if you've been out for a long time without practicing, no board exams or Step 3 exam is going to help. Unfortunately that's how the system is set up, and with new grads coming out every year the more years we're out of residency the worse it gets.

Being an old IMG with a failing Step 3 score is def. a bummer. Competition is so tough these days it's like any 1 thing can hinder your application. Like me for example, I feel like I have a good app but I have a failure on the CS exam. I think last year it hurt my application and I didn't match. But again it's hard to tell. But keep your head up, here's my advice if you're sincere about taking the Step 3 exam.

First, the exam is difficult, as you already know. But with the new format there are more biostats qs on day 1 with several Step 1 oriented qs thrown in on the first day as well. Then of course CCS with the 13 cases. These are the very basics. So you have to ask yourself, how good is your clinical knowledge meaning from Step 2 CK. Do you remember the basics of clinical medicine? If not then you have to start with CK first, meaning you should get MTB 2 by Conrad Fischer, and start there. If you read it before you know it's a great book, if not then I'll tell you it's a great book and easy to read and gives you the basics you need for the Step 3 exam. Read MTB 2 several times from front to back until you have a good grasp on the content.

From there you need USMLE World Step 3 Q Bank, USMLE World CCS, MTB 3, Crush Step 3 CCS, and possibly Archer's CCS review and Mapping for CCS. There are about 700 less qs in the Step 3 UWorld qbank than in the CK qbank, so it doesn't take that long to go through the material. The way I used the q bank was I would start reading on Monday and read through Sunday with no days off. Monday I would do let's say Infectious and Cardio in MTB 3, and then do the corresponding qs in UWorld. Of course you can't do all of the Infectious/Cardio Qs in 1 day so just do 2-3 blocks and then repeat the process the following week. Then on day 2 I would do Endocrinology and Pulmonology, and do the corresponding qs again in UWorld. So using this pattern I would end on Sunday doing Ob/Gyn and do the qs in Uworld, then the next day on Monday I would just repeat the process. You do this over and over again week in and week out. This is how I studied. About a month in you should take a NBME just to gauge where you are.

In terms of CCS, this is where most students get messed up on and fail the exam. My CCS actually improved my score and my CCS was more to the right in the higher performance. Here's my advice, do not over do or use too many resources for the CCS. All you need is UWorld CCS the 52 cases, forget about the printouts, they are unnecessary. Also get the Crush Step 3 CCS book. It's a great book with 120 cases that tells you step by step in a very nice fashion what to do with each case i.e. what to order, how to move pts, step by step. Between Uworld CCS and this book that is all you need to pass CCS. Of course make mental notes of the CCS tips in MTB 3 as well, but that is all you need to pass CCS. I tried mapping in the very beginning, and it was a pretty good source but I found Crush CCS much more effective. Also, many kids use Archer because it's just passed on that Archer is a must, you have to do Archer. It's BS. You don't need Archer to pass CCS. I'm sure it is useful so if you want you can ask someone about it, but it's not necessary to pass the exam. Again if you have no clue about the software or are totally lost, it may not be a bad idea. But honestly the CCS software is not that difficult to manage, it just comes down to whether or not you know how to handle and proceed with a clinical case with the proper diagnostics tests and treatments.

Overall I found the exam to be very difficult. I was convinced I failed when I left after day 1, day 2 was a little better but still I was like ehh I failed. But I actually did better than I thought. So take it from me, the exam is def. difficult but you have to prepare as if this is your last hoorah. I kept telling myself this is it, after this I'll be done with USMLE forever, and I used it as motivation. I hope that you look deep inside yourself and find that same motivation. Again, Step 3 isn't the cure for or a guarantee that you will match, but it will def. help. But you're YOG, and other step scores will also dictate whether it's worth taking the Step 3 exam. I hope what I said helps a little, if you have any more qs feel free to ask. Good luck Smile

@ diverticulosis. got the crush ccs. 2013 edition,, that the one i hope,, couldnt find i newer version?? salam, n best of luck fro the match bro....i pray u match,, i really do.
Thanks abdullah Smile Yes the Crush CCS is the 2013 edition. It's a great book it should def. help.
thanks bro... u r v helpful bro. wish i knew and thanked u personally,,, rock on,,,
applied to 67,,,, lets see,, i m 2006 grad,, i honestly feel step 3 is the key.
Thank you so much for your detailed answer diverticulosis! May God bless you for showing kindness to complete strangers like myself.

My YOG is 2006 (eek!!) no practice in own country. got married soon after and moved to the US. I'm a citizen. but no USCE, just some observerships and research. like i said, nothing amazing. Previous step scores borderline, with a 2nd attempt on CK…..I know, its really awful.

I appreciate that you shared your study methods. It seems very organized. Yup, I know how difficult the exam is, faced the monster before Sad and when I gave it, it HAD to be consecutive days. And I was approx 7 months pregnant!

Anyways, enough of my sad story. HAHA! Smile

I'll keep you in my prayers and hope that you match this year for sure!
@ abdullah: Thanks bro let's hope for the best Smile

@samomar: Thanks! Wow I can't imagine being 7 months pregnant trying to take the exam! But yea it's hard to say what will happen if you take the Step 3 exam. YOG is huge in the US unless you're actively practicing in another country. I hope whatever it is you wish to do it works out in the end, good luck!

“ ‘BOTTOM LINE -OUTCOMES,’ FOR ‘BOTTOM LINE- APPLICANTS’ ”

Call us at six four one seven one five thirty nine hundred ext six four nine, four six one
Tuition: Thirteen Thousand, Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars, per USMLE Step

9/15/2015 8:26 PM

Re: Online/Telephonic USMLE 1, 2-CK/3 Program

Dear Medical Student/Physician:

I am writing to discuss the above. We offer a comprehensive USMLE program in which you are guaranteed to pass, or you will not pay anything, period.

As you know, other programs will allow you to re-take the program, but will not offer a refund, due to their lack of confidence in your success. That is our key distinguishing feature.

Disposition

I. We would like you to contact us, 24-7 at the contact above.
II. We challenge you to challenge yourself—that is our secret…

“ ‘BOTTOM LINE -OUTCOMES,’ FOR ‘BOTTOM LINE- APPLICANTS’ ”

Call us at six four one seven one five thirty nine hundred ext six four nine, four six one
Tuition: Thirteen Thousand, Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars, per USMLE Step

9/17/2015 4:12 PM

Re: Online/Telephonic USMLE 1, 2-CK/3 Program

Dear Medical Student/Physician:

I am writing to discuss the above. We offer a comprehensive USMLE program in which you are guaranteed to pass, or you will not pay anything, period.

As you know, other programs will allow you to re-take the program, but will not offer a refund, due to their lack of confidence in your success. That is our key distinguishing feature.

Disposition

I. We would like you to contact us, 24-7 at the contact above.
II. We challenge you to challenge yourself—that is our secret…
cheers. i just did the kaplan bank and the cummulative is 66 percent with 64 percent in diagnostic test. is there any correlation with the actual exam??? plus cannot review the diagnostic test materials?? any help on that. thank you and have a great prep ahead. i already gave uwsa 1 month back and scored 194.
bump for those who need advice Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »