Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson Park Hospital IV experience - rosalinda
The place is not dangerous.

Just don't park your car near the KFC or Pop-eyes - cars get broken into the most there.
I spoke with two people who interviewed there. It's hit or miss regarding being asked medical q's. One had them asked and the other didn't.

As far as the safety of the place, it's pretty much spot on with what is said above. Had a friend get mugged near a bus stop there. A guy got his bookbag/ipad stolen at a mcdonalds closeby. I SAW a girl with her phone out near a bus stop in front of the hospital that had it snatched by a guy who ran by her. Cars broken into/parts of car stolen as well. Not a safe place to be around especially at night. Most people live closer to the city and commute via a car. Definitely do not recommend relying on public transport, if you do, best to do so during the day. I do feel that the area is improving.

Few of the attendings are old school, they will yell at you if you mess up etc. From my experience, the residents are overworked (they take care of everything in the hospital and work long hours). On a positive note, you see and do a variety of cases/procedures and by the end of your 3 years, you'll be well prepared to live/work anywhere. If you like teaching, there are a quite a few medical students that rotate through there, but it's hard to find the time to teach.
@pa.doc
Thanks for the info doc!

As far as the location is concerned, having a choice about it is a luxury for people with many interviews. We all know anybody would be desperate to match here if that was their only choice.
@doublehelix

Exactly. Probably a reason why they interview so many people. A lot of the people who get interviews tend to get upwards of 10-20 interviews and they obviously will move on from here once they see the surrounding area.

Last year they had 2 slots unfilled. In my opinion, they should be targeting folks with lower scores who don't get ivs at many places instead of wasting their time interviewing people likely to get a high number of interviews. Will improve the quality of their residents overall as they will interview many people that are likely to rank them high out of necessity and will actually start off with a bigger pool of candidates that will rank them.

Same thing with a lot of other programs selecting from a disadvantage (as far as surroundings/program facilities), I don't see why (unless an applicant lives a few miles away) programs are quick to jump on folks with 240+ scores and ignore all the
(continued...) ignore all the
I don't see why (unless an applicant lives a few miles away) programs are quick to jump on folks with 240+ scores and ignore all the (less than) 220 folks. If i were a PD, i would be giving a hard look at the top notch 210-220 people who will be a good fit for the program instead of the bottom of the barrel 240-250s who will likely rank their program low or even not rank it. (not saying don't offer the top score guys interviews, but sometimes it's obvious when a candidate is from Texas or NY or Cali and never did a rotation in your state).

In the interview trail at community programs, I spoke with fellow candidates from hundreds of miles away with no ties to the area, and they obviously were ranking the place low... And some of these people (they might be embellishing, but no reason to) have over 20 interview invites.

It also seems very silly in this regard when you look at the standard deviation of the these test scores which can get up to around 15 points...
Has anybody had any experience here lately that they would like to share? Thanks!
I did a few rotations there and the residents are really dumb. 3rd residents couldn't answer what vitamin deficiency causes wernicke-korsakoff. Didn't learn anything and residents are super lazy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »