Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weeeeeeeeeirrrrrrdddddd q - cd45
Well,
I think any diffuse severe bacterial infection will cause septic shock if it triggers the immune response. The most commom shocks are Strep (40%) and Staph (20%). So I guess it can happen even if the pathogen is gm +ve. For more info:

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic533.htm
NICKMLE ILL EMAIL THE Q TO U.. it doesnt post
Correction prashna: 40% is gm-ve and 20% staph
thanks adrenaline!
hey adrenaline.. i remember reading in kaplan micro where it said tht entero is ass with uti s esp in catheterised pts and usually seen in biliary tract infections.. it mainly causes SBE esp in elders with damaged heart valves. but i agree abt staph epidermidis being the most common in indwelling catheters...

if both the options are given in the case then wht do we pick? any thoughts...

thanks for the link..
well,
I dont think this guy had a damaged heart valve. Prashna and I were discussing why this guy had a catheter and whats the mechanism of the sepsis. I guess, this person came in with some surgical problem, had a cath and since no proper precautions were taken, had a nosocomial infection leading to sepsis. I think the edema is more due to peripheral vasodilation due to the inflammatory mediators than the CHF (which would occur at a later stage).

If the q had asked me about a pt who was admitted for prosthetic valve replacement with a cath and developing sepsis, then I would go for enterococcus. Thats my 2cents.
sounds good adrenaline!

thanks adrenaline and pashna...hey cd thanks for mailing it ..
urw prashna and nickmle. One more thing..Im sorry I had to refer this pt as a dude and not as a she. I just read the q again. My apologies to all the feminists !!!! lol !!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »