Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dortor patient relationship - doctorsaheb
good question kit

the patient CONFIDENTIALITY is important . so ask everyone to wate outside and disclose the news to the patient in private .

dont even ask the patient in front of everyone that u want to talk to him about his disease and would he like his family to be present . even if the patient wants to hide it he would tell no .
doctorsaheb,thank u so much for ur appreciation..u are indeed doing a great job by exploring this area which we as FMG's are very week in...i'll try to help as much as possible...that is the beauty of this forum...people like u,so selfless...Good luck!!!..Smile)

dhruvastill's q is a killer!!!!!!since all the options are sooo confusing,i'd select D...wat do u say?play it safe...this way,either of the two mother's won't be offended....
Q 8

39 years old hispanic who can speak only english comes to the emergency department with her 7 year old daughter who can speak both spanish and english . patient points towards his chest and says something in spanish . what should the doctor do

a ask a hospital house keeper who speaks spanish to interpret

b ask the child to interpret

c have a professional interpreter present while examining

d use eng-spanish dictionary

e use pics to interpret
i am sorry the patient can speak only spanish . and the doctor understands only english
Yes Zarah is right. Thank you so much Drsaheb. These q's r really difficult.

As for the answer for q8, since this woman has showed up in the emergency and not for a regular doctor visit, considering the urgency of the situation, I would ask housekeeper to interpret - Choice A. I know the best thing is to get a translator....but since its an emergency, it will take time. I wont ask the child to interpret coz she is just 7 yrs old and I'm not sure how well versed she is in Spanish - Lost in translation Smile
What do u guys think?
q 8

i think zarah is right.since it is an emergency should go with the house keeper.and the child is too young
Hye kit...I was complementing on Zarah for her comment on Drsaheb's selfless deed. Foe q8...zarah hasnt responded yet...hehehee
hey adrenaline2176 if the patient would have come to your office instead of the emergency department what would be ur answer .

now can anyone explain this in detail .

where from a doctor call the professional interprettor ?
i dont know about the US . do they have professional translators in and around the hospital . and will the patient wait till the translator comes . and suppose the translator visits for one patient and do the needful and go away and after a few mins same situation repeats . what happens .
huh !!!!!!!!!!! i dont know
someone explain

GUYZ WE NEED QUESTIONS
Well drsaheb,
In every U.S hospital there is someone call Social Worker. He/she is adept in handling situations related to translating, counselling, report signs of abuse, child protection, non payment of bills etc.
If a pt walks in to the OPD who doesnt speak the physicians lang, normally u would ask the person accompanying the person to translate (practical solution). But for usmle, since that will lead to bias (the relative might hide info from the doc), it is expected that u call a third party to translate it. This is generally a social worker who is normally familiar with the local dialect. Here in the U.S with a majority of Hispanich population, almost all social workers need ot be fluent in spanish.
For the next q, well once u have taken a detailed history and know here problem and have stabilized the pt, u know her diagnosis. If she happens to get the same pain/ symptoms...u could figure it out without the need for a translator Smile Normally, once the pt is stabilized, the social worker tries to call her relatives who can speak/understand english too. When they arrive, the SW will leave.
This is one of th er4eason why learning spanish will help u get a good residency in the U.S Smile
well adrenaline .

then in this question do they mean the social worker with the professional translator or the house keeper
please explain
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »