Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total no. of spots, you are going for Match! - adrenaline123
It also depends on the competitiveness of the pgm.......for example guthrie has only 2 spots left for match....and it interviewd only 90 candidates last year...should be the same this year too...they have abt 80 remaining after the pre- matches they gave out. I am guessing that out of those 80...@ least 50 or even more have gone out to other pgms in pre matches.[im guessing they invited competitive candidates]...so its just 30 remaining for match.....if u are able to make it into the top 15 of that pgm's list...there is a good chance u will match....coz it figures prob in the mid or way down in the list of most of those 30 candidates....So I wd say the number of positions is not a very accurate predictor...rather its the number of ivs and the competitiveness of those pgms and the number of candidates they interview that matter.

though the same laws may apply to those big competitive pgms....u need to be within atleast 3* or less their no of positions to stand a fair chance of matching.
plus its an H1b pgm....they will probably rank those who already have step 3 higher...to avoid all those delays......so a guy with step 3 and other good credentials and a good interview performance should match...if he hasn't already prematched.
great thread.

IM - 85 spots / 7 IVs
@hopefulll - i think the number of positions in a program going for match is one of the factors as it shows the number of spots you have a chance to match to. But like you said an equally important factor is the number of candidates interviewed/ranked - which unfortunately we do not have information for. The number of interviews can be misleading as many programs can give out many prematches (low-tier programs) and so some one might have 10 interviews but only 1-2 spots going for the match (10 to 20 match positions).

@chocobo - if you have nothing to contribute then stick your head in your chicken **** . I know you are frustrated from not matching last season but just because you got prematched in a low caliber ny program this year, there is no need to poke fun at us trying for match for the first time. Instead concentrate on getting your visa processed from Indonesia - good luck with that chicken-boy Smile muhaha
@prematchsucks - amazing..... 221 spots!!..... awesome... if you don't get matched then that algorithm is broken... lol , good luck to all.
we do have info abt the number of candidates interviewed......Frieda gives u that info .
yes - but not the number ranked..... that, in my opinion, would give a better sense of evaluating chances because you know the number of positions vs number of ranked.
@hopefulll - i agree with your other posts (program competitiveness etc) - it just shows that they are so many factors that play into ones chances of matching - it is good for us to debate over the next 30 days - Smile)
well....ryt...i mean why dont u read my example abt guthrie.....out of the remaining 30 possibly[guess].....maybe only 20 have step 3...And if u have really good credentials....[ and there is a chance that u have better credentials than those 20]...coz many of the guys with good credentials that they invited got PMed else where.....u will easily figure in the to 10-15...which means MATCH....all speculation!!
So my argument is that a guy with really good credentials who either declined PMs or was unlucky not to get PMs.......will probably match in a lesser competitive pgm even if it has only 2-3 seats remaining for match...and he might find it as difficult or more difficult to match in a bigger pgm with more seats.....with greater competitiveness or bigger candidate pool compensating for the increased number of seats. I know......psychologically we wd all think more number of seats means more chance, but we are not considering the confounding factors[I am not talking abt extreme situations like a big weak pgm which interview lesser number of candidates...I am talking abt most pgms] So I would argue...having more ivs is more indicative [or atleast as indicative] of the chances to match as against having more seats going into match]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »