Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to my friend HT09 - meshi
I will be here until you leave...meshi. Just fall in... Smile)
same Smile))
Congrats..ht09
hi
congratsad
thanks
thats incredible
can u pl share ur experience and what all you read
meshi - 09/23/09 02:30

Passed-94/222
I am not a "normal" step 3 taker: just finished a residency, was in a good standing during the residency, but postponed this test till now for some personal reasons.

So, my experience might not be helpful to everyone.

I studied mostly one month, did mostly UW, but as I call it " UW with extensions"- checking the wrong answers, sometimes thinking how the question should sound like in order for the wrong answer to be the right answer. Checked answers on Up to date and at the same time read something else about pertinent topic Did a few questions from Swanson and FP boards exams, many of them I posted here.

My NBME and UWA score were 500-510. In my residency programpeople were saying that the exam is vague, but it is impossible to fail it. After becoming addicted to this forum, I got so scared of failure: what if people in the residency do not tell when they fail (nobody needs this score anymore, nobody knows how many times you take it). So, since I was off the track, I get panic even more, especially reading all this posts how people fail...

Searching the forum for the last few months, I did not see failures in NBME and/or UWA scores close or above 500 and even lower.
If you look on my exam experience from 9/1-9/2, I said that even if I fail, I still say that this test was fair, even though it does have a lot of vagueness... A lot of similar questions from UW/UWA, since I did not use Kaplan and others, I did not have this mess in my head where are this questions from or when did I came across similar issues. I knew exactly that they are from UW or may be from the forum... Answers are more straight forward on the real exam than on UW. Time was an issue for me and especially in ER blocks, a few questions I missed because of this problem. Knowing that time may be an issue fo me at the end of the block, I still could not get jumping through the questions or start reading from the answers at the beginning of the block, I still read everything from the beginning of the question. Many times, I used this technique (which I would recommended): read the Q and before looking at the answers, answered myself and later was just finding the right answer (the one, I just said in my heart), (but, of course, I was double checking all other answers). For MCQ- would concentrate on 1-2 resources, not too many, otherwise it is too confusing: when you allowed to have sex after MI ( right away like Fisher in MTB or a few weeks after like Kaplan). This ambiguity is not so common on real exam, most of the times I told mysel:" Meshi, do not look for zebras if it looks like a horse!". So guys, do not look for zebras.

CCS: I am not a good adviser for this, since I am in/post residency. For me it was easy, I just imagined this case in real ER or office.
In general, I think this test you should take while you are in residency ( 2-3 years) unless you really need it for visa or like I heard from this forum, to apply for psychiatry residency. I can't imagine memorizing CCS before the residency: so much harder. Programs do not look on step 3 scores, but they will definitely notice the attempts, so wait, do not hurry, even if you are dying to be done with USMLE , wait for the residency. On the other hand, if your NBME/UWA is 600 and above, you should be fine even without the residency.

visit the link below and help through clicking on one google ad http://ayazpk.tk
Meshi, congratulation and thank you for sharing this with us . Please we need you on forum just few words from you in each serious post would be of great help most of us need your comment to our questions. Give us like 30 min every day to guide.

Thank you and best of luck

Tena
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »