Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody here come from China? -
Hi

Also from Shanghai. Happy New Year to everyone, and study hard, let's kill USMLE like we kill GRE
gre

all right... my girlfriend is chinese, so i know it first hand, and i have to mention that MOST chinese 'kill' GRE because of ACTUAL GRE questions passed around the country and in special prep centers (just like philipina nurses pass the CGFNS nursing exams to come to this country to work as a nurse.......).

in fact, it is the same thing with Korea, Taiwan, and some other countries in Asia - prompting ETS to actually contact graduate schools and notify the ad com members to NOT accept students from countries with these gross irregularities based on their (phenomenal!!!!) GRE scores.... I mean guys were getting scores such as 2300-2400 en masse...(can you all imagine what will happen if we see the same, say french dominating the boards and getting 280 on the boards....???? this is what was happening....

sorry. cool it off..... the distribution of performance on a standardized tests is not race dependent, my friend..... i have met some very smart chinese, some of whom are my friends and colleagues, and some, that can hardly speak a word english after 2 years of staying in a grad school in the US (yes, they also cannot write!) and still got accepted based on GRE results. please dont sell me this bs about they can read well....bla bla.... i have had to learn english and other languages too.... i mean we are not talking about additional direction such as that coming from Kaplan.... that is really fair given the fact that US med students have their shelves, and the same teachers anyway.... to guide them... we are talking about complete exams taken out of the exam centers.... WHEW~!!!! sounds scary....

I am sorry, I may sound bitter. I am, becuase due to those irregularities, other foreigners such as myself, had a hell of a time getting into PhD programs. given the limited number of applicants that are accepted w/o a green card.... and the weight placed on GRE, it is really unfair what is happening. Competition should be fair. I really dont want to think back about the stress I had when studying for GRE due to the pressure on my shoulders - and it was due to the fact that so many people have found an illegal way and blown gre results out of proportions....

I think it is really normal when a couple of questions are passed around the some websites (something that is happening in the USMLE). that will not change anybody's score....

But I really hope that if something like GRE happens to USMLE, that ecfmg actually STOPS test administration in those countries and forces those nationals to only take it in the US, where rules are respected. For example, I think that CSA would have been very biased had it been administered in many countries other than here....

so please, cool it off with 'killing GRE'.

once again, pardon my bitter reply. in fact i had this very discussion with a chinese friend and colleague of mine during one party the other day.... so, trust me, it is what i think, nothing against the country. just against the system.... an iconoclast, you know....

Now let us make peace.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL CHINESE AND EVERYBODY ELSE WHO BELIEVES IN THIS CALENDAR!

I wish you all health and happiness.....
way2go

way to go man...i really appreciate ur justifications..coz i think USMLE is one of the hardest exams that ive come across..
hn

gre, you stated the obvious facts about GRE in CHina. However, I do not belive there is a USMLE site in China and, most importantly, there are not many people in China who are interested in USMLE anyway.
chlty - chlty35

Hi i'm from China, Happy new year to all and hopefully I'd take step 1 this summer.Anyone who want to share the experience of cracking USMLE e-mail me.
gre

guys, i never did mention about any usmle web site or training center similar to the one for gre. neither in china, nor in any other country. as far as i am concerned, everything is legal and clean.

i was only pouring out my frustrations at someone's comment. GRE is not an easy exam either, if you have to score above 90%ile.... none of the exams are if you have to score that high.... i just felt that it is unfair to say what the person stated..... i think everything comes with hard work. and it is not that someone says, all right, i am taking usmle tomorrow---- bang----99/270....right?

guys, enjoy your new year's celebrations....
causeboy - am4076@wayne.edu

I come from china too, prepare Step1 now.
Best wishes to all your guys here for the happy new year!
peng - xipengwang

I am from shanghai, now as posdoc fellow in Texas Medical Center, I want to take USMLE step1 next year.
happy new year

Xiaoming - xmhucpmc

Someone in Chicago area? If so, send me email. Thanks!
Xi'an, China.

I just came back from China. Most of my med-school friends have finished or being doing "zhu yua zong" now. Best wishes for them. And, wish we all pass Step1/2/3 and start our career here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »