Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Letter/PTAL - y2k5grad
I did not match into IM this year. Scores in mid 80s with GC and fresh grad.

Do you know if I should bother to apply to California programs next year with PTAL letter or would it be a waste of time/money with my scores?

Appreciate sincere advices from seasoned folks.

You definitely should try with GC and fresh grad.

If you don't try, you never know. I really don't think Cali is more competitive than other states. Maybe because most programs dont sponsor Visa. But you don't have this problem. From my experience, most of my IV come from Cali, not from NY or other more 'friendly' states. Your scores are fine. I strongly suggest u try CA because NY is the world of double 99 without GC.

It takes time and money to apply for PTAL, but it is worth of them.
I am also an IMG,India...wht is PTAL?...and how do we get tht california letter...Plzz can anyone tell tht...Thnkss
Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter.

It is required by most Californian programs in application. You can apply for it via CA government website: www.ca.gov.

U can also google it.
DO APPLY IN CALIFORNIA,,,

PTAL IS NOT A WASTE

AS FAR AS I KNOW ,,IF U MATCH IN CALIF PROGRA .,,,,,U WILL GET THE MONEY U SPENT FOR PTAL LETTER(APPLICATION FEE)

TRY TO DO RESEARCH OR TRY TO GET USCE..

ALL THE BEST...
What would you guys suggest

1) should I concentrate on giving my Step 3
or
2) doing some Clinical research???

Btw, I already had some observership experience albeit not in teaching hospitals for last match - which obviously does not seem to have helped - becoz I was asked specially about "HANDS-ON" experience and they didn't want to hear about my observership experience.

Plz advise.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »